GO!

The "Aftermath" of a move

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Peanut (RIP- 7/15/04-11/2- 7/06)

That's MS.PEANUT- to you!

Purred: Sun Sep 3, '06 8:14am PST 
Me and my sister moved two days ago. I've adjusted really well.....but she on the other hand hisses at me all the time! She doesn't like to cuddle or play like we used to. Mom has us temporarily confined to two rooms to get used to the new place. It seems nice to me, but if i even purr in my sisters direction, her paw goes up and she hisses like a madwoman. Any advice to help win her over?
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Sep 3, '06 9:10am PST 
They need to be reintroduced. Sometiimes the stress of moving causes aggression between cats. This might take some time, but eventually things should calm down.
Google "reintroducing cats after moving"." Several links pop up. You may want to consider using Feliway. Good Luck!
[notify]

Rufus - In Loving- Memory 12/17

Sweet Angel

Purred: Sun Sep 3, '06 9:13am PST 
The new place probably smells weird. Do you have your old beds, toys, etc. around? Are the rooms you're confined to filled with scary unfamiliar boxes or is everything unpacked and looking more home-like? Do your parents come and visit with you often or are you locked in alone all day? All of these things can make a difference.

When we first moved, my sister found a hole in the baseboard in the kitchen and hid behind the dishwasher. Momma was afraid that she'd slipped out when the door was open and would never be seen again! I ratted her out though and Momma had the hole blocked off. It took Briana a week or so to adjust.

Remember, there's nothing a cat hates more than a closed door, so eventually your sister's natural curiosity will get the better of her and she'll want to explore more. Good luck!
[notify]

Peanut (RIP- 7/15/04-11/2- 7/06)

That's MS.PEANUT- to you!

Purred: Sun Sep 3, '06 9:53am PST 
Thank you so much to the both of you for the excellent tips. I will let mommy know all the great advice you gave me!
[notify]

Bianca

the shy one

Purred: Sun Sep 3, '06 3:33pm PST 
Oh My Goodness Rufus!

Would you believe I did almost the exact same thing when we moved! I found a secret crawl space under the sink and "vanished " for 11 hours.

My mom was a total wreck! Plus it was the middle of January, 15 degrees outside and she was terrified I had somehow gotten out!

The next day she also blocked off my "secret entrance".

We have to move again in a few months and she is hoping there will not be a repeat performance.

Bianca
[notify]

Rufus - In Loving- Memory 12/17

Sweet Angel

Purred: Sun Sep 3, '06 9:01pm PST 
Hey Bianca,

We've moved 5 times since then and it's gotten easier each time. Being locked in one room helps -- makes it less overwhelming. Momma has gotten used to Briana disappearing like a magician, so she doesn't worry too much. And it's funny, the one time Briana actually did get out of our new condo, she went up the stairs to the third floor landing and started screaming her head off! Momma heard her screaming and ran upstairs to "rescue" her.
[notify]