GO!

Tranquilizer Alternative

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Rambo

I'm cuter than- Sly

Purred: Fri Aug 18, '06 7:00am PST 
Mommy was asking the vet yesterday about tranquilizers for my 3hr car ride to Birmingham,AL next week on 8/23 (I'm moving) and they actually suggested to use Pediatric Benadryl, for 7-11lbs give 8-12mg of the medicine up to 3 times a day and it should help #1 calm the cat and #2 possibly help them sleep through the trip. This will be a plus for me since I tend to go potty in my carrier ::blushes::.

I just wanted to share this with everyone - the vet set it was animal safe and would not hurt us.

Puuuuuurrrrs,
Rambo
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Fri Aug 18, '06 9:24am PST 
Rambo, it is safe, however, in some animals it has an opposite effect (makes us wired), so you may want to try it out before you get in the car to drive the distance.
[notify]

Rambo

I'm cuter than- Sly

Purred: Fri Aug 18, '06 9:32am PST 
Thank you for that, never would have thought about it - but great point!
[notify]

emma

you're not the- boss of me

Purred: Sun Aug 20, '06 9:38am PST 
We have used a product called CONTENT UM to calm us down. It is not a heavy tranquilizer, doesn't make me sleepy, just less agitated. They sell it in liquid form and you can put it in water or food - it has no odor or taste! You can find it in most pet stores, and online. It's about 10- 12 dollars. It's a natural product, may be a bit safer that human meds and it is designed just for animals. Hope you have a safe car ride!!!!
[notify]

Enzo- Furrariϖ- 9;(2003-2013- )

Speed Kitty

Purred: Sun Aug 20, '06 12:09pm PST 
Some Feliway sprayed in the carrier will also help make you feel safe and content. That stuff is amazing.
[notify]

Rambo

I'm cuter than- Sly

Purred: Sun Aug 20, '06 12:45pm PST 
Is it possible to find the CONTENT or Feliway at Petsmart???

Edited by author Sun Aug 20, '06 12:45pm PST

[notify]

emma

you're not the- boss of me

Purred: Mon Aug 21, '06 5:09pm PST 
Yes it is, but it is much more expensive - if you don't need any of the products right away - order online - you can save soooo much money, especially on feliway (which we have used as well) You can get it half off online.
[notify]

Ele' - Elphaba- Harriott

Pink, please

Purred: Tue Aug 22, '06 1:18pm PST 
My mom used to work for the company that makes Feliway. The main ingredient is a replication of the facial pheremone that us kitties release, like when we rub our heads against your leg if we like you. It's a non-aggressive pheremone that marks something (or someone!) as safe or friendly. There are NO drugs in the product, so it does not work like a tranquilizer. You spray a little around the car, and on a towel/blanket in the carrier (don't spray it on animals...it won't work that way). We kitties actually "sense" the pheremone scent through a small hole in the roof of our mouths. Because the pheremone is something that is actually natural to us, we can't overdose on it or build up a resistance to it, and it does make us feel more comfortable in a stressful situation. There is also a plug-in/diffuser version of it, that works like the plug-in air fresheners. Humans can't really smell it, other than the very initial spray, and that is mainly the alcohol that is in the product to make it dry quickly. My mom has used it for us when she brought home the Ugly Kitty, when we were in the car, and when we moved into a new home. Also, if it makes you feel better, this was originally a vet0only product, and many vets still sell and recommend it. We give it all paws up!!
[notify]