GO!

help!

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

♥- maggie- ♥

Always have- fun!,help people- help others

Purred: Thu Aug 17, '06 1:26pm PST 
hello.my name is meggie and i seem to be the first pet my owner has had.she is a bit lost when it comes to car rides.i like to roam but meow too.she keeps me in a box with a blanket and i dont always like it. if u could help me help her figure this out.please!!!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Thu Aug 17, '06 1:40pm PST 
Always travel in a carrier. It is much safer for you and also your mom/dad. NOt only can you put a blanket or towel inside w/ you, but have your mom/dad put a towel over the top of your carrier. It will help to calm you. The more often you get car rides, the more comfortable you will be w/ them. Make sure though, that not every car ride ends w/ a trip to the vets office, as you will start to associate the car/carrier w/ the vet. Go on short trips around the block or even just a 10 minute drive. I have ridden in the car so many times that it doesn't even bother me, I just sit back and wait until we are where we are going. Unfortunately mos of my trips were to the vets office (my mom's a tech) and I am a blood donor. I hate the Dr., but I sure like to help other kitties in need.
[notify]

Dexter - (C.K. Dexter- Haven)

Too Cute to- Resist

Purred: Thu Aug 17, '06 3:19pm PST 
Hunter is right. Alway ride in a carrier. You are so young and little it should not take log to get you use to riding. Mom has had me a month and I love to ride in the car in a carrier. Mom puts my favorite toys (furry mice) in my carrier in addition to my blanket. She started taking me on short trips. Not just to the vet. She even takes me to the vets office just to visit. Now I don't associate bad things with going to the vet. If you have a friend or family members that would not mind you bringing Meggie over just to play, that way she will think you are going to do something fun and will not mind being in the carrier. Mom takes me, several time a week, to my Grandma's house to play. She leaves special toys there that I don't have at home and I think I am getting a real treat by going there to play. When it is time to get in the carrier, she makes sure I have a few toys and I play all the way home, with no fuss at all.
It take a little time but if you get her use to traveling now you will thank yourself later. It is easier to teach them while they are young. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
[notify]

Jake

The World: your- oyster, my- napping space

Purred: Fri Aug 18, '06 6:24am PST 
I know the carrier issue is one that some kitties (and their people!) get touchy about, but please let me explain WHY a carrier is so much safer.

You may think "I'm a good driver and my kitty won't distract me while I'm driving," and that's fine. However, that doesn't mean anybody is immune to accidents! Some drunken fool might plow into you, and then your cat becomes a flung projectile, and that could mean a smashed skull or broken neck if he's not restrained in a carrier. If he's in a carrier, a collision will give him some bruises but he's less likely to be killed.

Even should your cat survive a crash unscathed, the danger isn't over! If you need help and the paramedics have to take you to the hospital, nobody will be able to save your baby! Your cat, terrified by the crash, could either run out of the car, never to be seen again, or remain trapped and scared because nobody can get to him. Some authorities won't even try to rescue an unrestrained animal from a car because of the safety hazard to the animal and to personnel. There's no telling whether they'll call animal control to save your cat... or just leave him to his fate.

I'm sorry if I scared you, I'm not trying to be morbid, but those things are definitely true! Please use a carrier, it could save your kitty's life in more ways than one!

Tinker Bell

I love ME!

Purred: Fri Aug 18, '06 6:42am PST 
Not only can keeping your kitty in the carrier be safer for your cat, but also you. Not that we don't love our kitty friends or doggie friends for that matter, but if you travel with your own kids or others and an accident were to happen - not only is it dangerous to the animal but also to you - if the animal is not restrained it can become itself "a flying object" which could prevent you from getting OUT of the way of danger or could further injure you and the animal.
[notify]

BRUCE (THE- BOSS)

Born to Run &- Born to Moo Boo

Purred: Tue Aug 29, '06 1:26am PST 
Great advice kitties *smiles*