GO!

Air Travel in cabin

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sooty

Just eat it!

Purred: Mon Aug 7, '06 3:52am PST 
Hi all
We are moving across Australia by plane soon and our mum is worried about us during the trip, as it seems all animals have to travel in some cargo bay and can't be accessed during the flight.
It seems from what we read here that everywhere else in the world cats can fly in their carriers with their owners in the cabin. Is this right?
If so, any ideas why they can't here? It would be a lot easier to cope with if mum could keep an eye on us herself!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Thu Aug 10, '06 4:12pm PST 
Not sure why you aren't allowed in the cabin in Australia. In the US, we can ride either place. Many airlines won't allow you to be flown in heat (80 F or hotter), so you may want to check into flying in late evening or at night. Depending on the length of your flight, you may want to withhold food after midnight the night before, and withhold water for at least 3 hours before the flight. Sedatives wouldn't be recommended unless you are an extremely stressed out cat. They inhibit us from regulating our body temp. and since you will be alone, no one can check whether you are too hot or too cold.
It's intersesting that you aren't allowed pets in the cabin. I'd check w/ other airline about that source of info.
[notify]

LuLu - Now an angel

Prettiest eyes- on Catster

Purred: Thu Aug 10, '06 4:34pm PST 
Are you all flying or just you? I remember flying with my brother across the country and we had to go in the cargo area because only one pet is allowed per purchased seat and then I think only one or two pets per flight as a whole.

We did ok in cargo. Its not regular cargo where they put the luggage but a special temp & pressure regulated cargo.

I hope this helps and good luck!
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Thu Aug 10, '06 5:20pm PST 
That's strange that they won't let you ride in the cabin. My mom worked in the airlines for years (in the States), and the only flights that she's seen where small pets couldn't ride in the cabin were international flights where a quarantine was required. So the rule is for all of Australia and not just the airline you're taking?

I guess maybe Australia's government might have put restrictions on non-humans in the cabin because of potential health issues? But then, a human's a lot more likely to get sick from human germs than from any other species! ;-)

Most of the airlines have very specific rules about carriers, food, water, vaccinations, etc., when you're traveling in the cargo compartment. There are strict rules on the baggage handlers, as well, about how pets must be handled, how long you can be exposed to heat or cold, how much space for ventilation there has to be around your carrier, when you can be fed/watered, etc.

Unfortunately, you are going to be exposed to a lot of extremes that can't be avoided. Depending on the type of plane you're flying in (how close the compartments are to the engines), it can get very hot or very cold while the plane is in operation. Obviously, whenever the cargo door is open the noise will be deafening and you'll be handled by strange humans. You will be under a lot of stress.

Mom's seen a lot of pets during transport that were totally freaking out and she wished that their humans had gotten them some sedative meds so they wouldn't hurt themselves. But then, of course, Hunter is right that it might not be a good option for a lot of kitties. It's something that you'll want to talk to the vet about and see what he/she thinks.

Edited by author Thu Aug 10, '06 5:41pm PST

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri Aug 11, '06 8:35pm PST 
I wonder if a natural calming treatment like Bach's Rescue Remedy might be a better alternative than prescription tranquilizers to help you relax during your trip?

You'll be fine, Sooty!! smile
Let us know what your plans are, and keep us posted!

Sooty

Just eat it!

Purred: Fri Sep 1, '06 8:47pm PST 
Thanks all for your comments!
Yes it's definitely all the domestic airlines here - there are only 3 that fly between the capital cities smile
I really don't know why it is though! Grrrr...
Yes it will be all 3 of us cats, not just me. There will be 2 humans flying, so I guess we'd have to buy an extra seat or something (IF they did let us go in cabin, which they don't.....)
I am really worried about the conditions where they do put the pets - noise mainly.
I will certainly try the rescue remedy, thanks for that suggestion. I have used it before smile
Probably won't go the sedative route unless vet really thinks a good idea, which probably seems like it wouldn't be.
Thanks again!
If I do find out anything more from the airlines I'll let you know, but unfortunately their polices seem pretty clear. And I've flown a fair bit and never seen anyone with a pet on board.
Sooty's mum.
[notify]

Callie

pretty girl!

Purred: Mon Sep 4, '06 11:30pm PST 
let us know what happens! my mommy moved with us from rhode island to los angeles over a year ago. thankfully, we were allowed in the cabin. mommy says that when they allow screaming human children to ride in a cage unattended in the cargo hold, she'll then deem it safe for us fur kids. anyway, mommy had to buy grammy a ticket on the plane with us, cause you can have one kitty per human. so grammy came along for the trip! which was good, cause mommy almost had to be hospitalized due to her panic attacks over the whole thing!! but we did fine!!!! (better than mommy!!!) we adjusted really well, and mommy is so proud of us and happy that we are happy. mommy brought along some rescue remedy, but it turns out we didn't need it - she did!

when are you flying?
[notify]

Sooty

Just eat it!

Purred: Tue Sep 5, '06 4:18am PST 
Hi Callie
We're not sure of the exact date, but it will be at least a month until we go.
Yes, I've been trying to work out the reason cats aren't allowed in the cabin and it did occur to me that one of the gang (Pooky) meows the ENTIRE time on a car trip - but then I DID think of all the times I've flown with a baby nearby that did pretty much the same thing.....
Glad you (and your mum!) made it though your move ok.
Will keep you posted......
Sooty's mum.
[notify]

Lilibet- Squeekietoy- Humphrey

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Wed Sep 6, '06 7:34pm PST 
Callie, re the screaming children we and our mommy heartily agree!
[notify]

Callie

pretty girl!

Purred: Wed Sep 6, '06 11:09pm PST 
right, lilibet? my goodness! maybe they are scared, but we are, too! we were really quiet. oh well. not everyone can be purrfect.....
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2