GO!

Selecting the Right Harness Type

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Desiree- Kisufit Dara

Purred: Tue Jul 25, '06 8:13am PST 
My sister and I live on the 20th floor so there are not too many birds to see directly outside our window. Our mommy wants to know what you all think of the various types of harnesses--figure 8, h-shape, v-shape in terms of safety. Which is the most difficult for us to get out of?

Our mommy wants to take us in the gated garden outside our building. We also have a cat stroller for when we go places further away. Of course we will have to try the harness around the apt first to make sure it is adjusted to the right fit.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
[notify]

Sammy

I'm the- purrrrfect cat- ever!

Purred: Tue Jul 25, '06 9:30am PST 
Hello,
I usualy use a dog harness because its stronger than a regular 8 shaped cat harness. Sammy have broked it in 2 hours. His new one doesn't attach at the neck but goes around his shoulders and it tied around his belly. Its quite tight so harder to get out of it. I don't like 8 shaped ones because they tend to choke the cat and it buckle at 2 places. Sammy broke the neck one.
Hope this help!
[notify]

Eve

NOOOOO! let me- do it!

Purred: Tue Jul 25, '06 1:24pm PST 
Mommy is dying for a cat stroller but is really afraid of everyone thinking she is a crazy cat lady - what kind of reaction does your mom get when she wheels you around?
I have a harness that goes around the neck and buckles at my belly- I can't get out of it, but I put up a big fuss getting into it. I tend to pull and tug backwards for a couple of minutes and I still can't get out of it. We are looking for one that has snap like attachments- but so far we have only seen a tiny one for tiny dogs. I guess it also depends on how active you are in your harness - I just walk around and sun myself on our porch.
[notify]

Desiree- Kisufit Dara

Purred: Tue Jul 25, '06 4:04pm PST 
Sammy, our mommy ordered us an extra small figure 8 dog harness which looks pretty strong. It's not the regular type that if you make one loop smaller the other gets larger. we can't adjust it by tugging on it or contorting our bodies. We'll definitely have to try it around the apt first to make sure it works well and is the right fit. Just wanted to see if there's something better before we go outside with it.

Eve, our mommy just got us on Saturday. She was a little worried about people's reactions to the stroller too, but figured it would be easier than a carrier on her and us to take us to the vet and it's spacious for us to sit in at the park. We'll be using it for the first time Thursday morning. Lucy already tried getting in it to see some of the toys that were inside. We'll let you know how it goes.
[notify]

Eve

NOOOOO! let me- do it!

Purred: Wed Jul 26, '06 1:09pm PST 
Please do - I hope you all have fun in your stroller! Just to let you know, Mom found the harness she wanted today - oh boy. Let's just say I don't like it. I kept getting my leg caught up trying to get out and the neck part wasn't tight enough so I kept biting it...she has to make some adjustments on it...Good thing Mom always tests these things inside like your Mom does - if I did this outside, I would be running around in the street! Hopefully Mom will fix it and I won't be able to escape. Best of luck to you smile
[notify]

Pooky

King of the- pride

Purred: Thu Jul 27, '06 4:18am PST 
Hope your new harness works well for you!
It might take you a while to get use to wearing it in the house (without the leash at first if possible) before you want to try it outside. It's weird some cats don't seem to mind much at all and others seem to go all squirmy and/or just drop to the ground and refuse to walk around!
I really like my harness as I know it means I'm going outside! I come running when mum gets it out and I'm really good about getting it put on.
Have fun!
[notify]

Oreo

Is it time to go- to work (with- out dog)

Purred: Fri Sep 1, '06 10:06am PST 
My mom got us all harnesses at the pet store and they are actually Rabbit or Ferret harnesses, (don't tell anyone Annie would be really upset by this she thinks they are pretty kitty harnesses). they come with a stretchey lead and actuall look like a stylish tank top they fasten at the neck and around the tummy I love mine means I'm goign somewhere.
[notify]

Tabby (Tabitha)

Attention hog!

Purred: Sun Oct 15, '06 9:33pm PST 
I have a jacket that velcros on me for my walks. Skylar has a cat harness that buckles under his tummy and has two separate adjustments (one for the collar and one for the tummy). Lydia has the stretchy one that Oreo says he has, but she's only worn it once and isn't used to it yet.
[notify]

Bibs

Houdini, the- screen opener

Purred: Sun Oct 15, '06 10:13pm PST 
A couple of years ago, mommy got us a harness that was a figure 8 harness and leash all in one. It went on by slipping the collar over my head and snapping the strap around my belly. She never was able to get it adjusted right. I always manage to squirm and get a foot on the wrong side or was able to bite the collar portion.

She tried buying me a dog harness which is like the h-style but with a chest strap too. It had buckles rather than snaps. I struggled to much for her to get it on me.

I now have an H-style cat harness which snaps. She holds me when she puts it on me. I struggle but she still can get both the collar and the belly snapped one handed. I really don't like it but she says I can't go outside without it. And I love to go outside. I do the belly crawl when I have it on.
[notify]

Loki

Mistress- Mischief

Purred: Sun Oct 15, '06 11:17pm PST 
My mum got the h shaped harness too! But I -love- going for walks! especially at night .. She usually takes me before she goes to her work so that I am settled down a bit!

Bast FREAKS out when mum tries to harness her so she stays inside ... she doesn't mind the outside scares her I think!
[notify]