GO!

To move or not; and if so, what to do!?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Pooskotch- "Poo"

The Great High- Poomba

Purred: Mon Jun 19, '06 11:52pm PST 
Hi everyone,

I soon may be moving to AZ from MN and am wondering what I should do with my cat. He is 9 and has always lived in the same house. He's not very attached to the other cats here. Actually, they kind of pick on him.

He's not big on carriers or car trips. On that note, he's only been to and from the vet which is a 10 minute trip!

He has a loud howl and I am not sure if I could deal with that for the entire journey (which would be two days by car.) I've already decided that if I take him I am going by car and not flying.

Also, we would be traveling with my roommate's cat whom he has never met.

I don't want him to die or anything if he goes on the journey. (Obviously!) I want to do what's best for him and will take any idea/s suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your advice!!!

KN
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Jun 20, '06 9:39am PST 
He should be fine moving to a new home. It may take a bit of time for him to throughly adjust, but he will. If you are worried about him yeowling the whole way, you could ask your vet for sedatives.
great source of info
http://www.fabcats.org/travellinghomepage.html
[notify]

LuLu - Now an angel

Prettiest eyes- on Catster

Purred: Tue Jun 20, '06 9:48am PST 
Don't worry, he will adjust easily. Me and my sister Furie traveled by car from Georgia to Oregon not once but twice. I was a little scared but got used to it after the first day. I mostly peeked out the window and slept. My sister Furie was the vocal one she cried for the first hour or so but after that, she settled right in too. It took 4 days for us to drive all of that way. I would suggest putting harnesses on everyone so no one can slip away when you make stops.

Good luck!
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Tue Jun 20, '06 10:29pm PST 
There are some good ideas on the "Moving an Older Cat" thread. smile

Iris Whirley- and Lili- Twirley

Iris and Lili

Purred: Thu Jun 22, '06 2:22pm PST 
We are so glad to find this forum! We are moving very soon and are anxious about the trip, but after reading all the responses to like questions we are settling into the idea that the 4 day road trip might not be that bad.
[notify]