GO!

Moving...

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Allie

Girls Kick Butt!

Purred: Mon Jun 12, '06 11:15am PST 
My humans have decided to move to a new home about 20 minutes away from where we live now. I've been reading other posts for advice about the transition between houses for us cats, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to transition cats to a new yard. Me and Sarge like to go outside, and both of our houses have big yards for us to explore, but mom is worried about us and the new house because she doesn't want us getting lost or going near the road etc. We're pretty energetic cats so leaving us inside is not really an option. Any thoughts? Thanks!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Mon Jun 12, '06 8:25pm PST 
You need to stay inside for at least a week, preferably 2 weeks, otherwise, you may try to find your way back to your old home. After that time, it should be safe to go back outside.
[notify]

Allie

Girls Kick Butt!

Purred: Thu Jun 15, '06 12:13pm PST 
Thanks for the advice Hunter. Do you think it would be okay if the cats were let outside under supervision for the first week or so?
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Thu Jun 15, '06 1:04pm PST 
I think if the yard is fenced, not a problem. If it's not, maybe a harness would work. I only say this, because you don't know the neighborhood and if a dog or another cat comes running into the yard, it could frighten your cats, causing them to bolt, in any direction.
[notify]

Allie

Girls Kick Butt!

Purred: Fri Jun 16, '06 12:50pm PST 
We have a harness, but as much as the cats hate it, it worked when we used it when they were first let outside when we first got them, so we'll try that first. Of course Allie's brother Sarge likes being inside a little better and will come if he hears the treat bag, so I'm a little more worried about Allie.
[notify]

♥Mor- gan The- PirateGato

You Gotta Love- Me, I'm a Pirate

Purred: Sun Jun 18, '06 5:37am PST 
introduce them to the new house room by room. first week locked in one room, let them out to explore, but keep other doors closed.
moving for cats is amazingly stressful sometimes. also rescue remedy in the water bowls helps.

harnesses in the yard for sure, until they know it's home, or they may just go back to the old house. cats are funny with changes sometimes.

good luck - typing one handed - sleeping/purring morgan on my lap, if i move my hand he'll slide to the floor......
[notify]

Allie

Girls Kick Butt!

Purred: Mon Jun 19, '06 2:01pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. We're actually setting up a room that will be designated for the cats, so we'll probably start them off in there.
[notify]