GO!

Flying TOMORROW!

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Samuel

Chubster.

Purred: Wed May 24, '06 11:58am PST 
Tomorrow we are moving to Chicago and flying on a plane to get there. Henri and I will be in our carriers for approximately 6 hours, and mom is freeaaaaaking out over it.

The vet has recommended that I be sedated because I am a nervous kind of guy. However, mom has two worries.

1.) Should there be food and water in our carriers? She is worried that they will spill and make a mess and we will be uncomfortable for the whole trip. Not to mention we might have to go potty and not be able to hold it.

2.) Mom is worried that we will be very very scared and be traumatized by this. Henri is deaf and will probably be less bothered by all the noise from the plane, but I am quite sensitive to sounds and she is worried that I might be frightened.

any advice or experiences would be appreciated!
[notify]

Ollie

I'm cute and I- know it!

Purred: Wed May 24, '06 12:27pm PST 
My mummy is freaking out about our up-coming trip as well. The only difference is that mine will be a road trip.
I have never been on an air plane... the only thing that i would suggest is to maybe give you gravol one hour before leaving. 12.5mg for 8 hours. that is what my vet told mummy. Traqs apparently are not the best. people dont seem to have any positive comments about tranqs.
That is all the info that I have at the moment... i wish you a good move!
Meow
Ollie
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Wed May 24, '06 12:45pm PST 
Congrats on your move! We love Chicago, we're sure you'll love it, too! smile

Six hours without food and water isn't too long. You might even want to go without for a little while before so that you don't have to go to the box or get an upset tummy during the flight.

I'm assuming that you're riding in the cabin and not in with the baggage? The airlines have very specific rules about food and water for pets traveling in baggage. Your mom should keep some supplies for you in her carry-on, just in case you get stranded somewhere. A baggie of dry food, a baggie of litter, and something that could serve as an impromptu litter pan, like a shoebox lid, can be lifesavers. So, if at some point during the trip she thinks you're hungry, she can offer you a snack but if you don't want it she can put it back in her bag.

Good luck, Samuel! I'm sure you'll be fine! smile

LuLu - Now an angel

Prettiest eyes- on Catster

Purred: Wed May 24, '06 1:38pm PST 
Hi Samuel. My sister Furie and I flew from Portland, Oregon to Atlanta, Georgia. It was a 5 hours flight. We had to go in the baggage area of the plane so mom bought one giant kennel and put us both in it. We took the sedative the vet perscribed and had no problems.

I agree that 6 hours isn't too long to go without food and water or potty. You will probably be too nervous to eat or drink anyway. Your mom might want to consider getting one of those disposable pee pads for the bottom of your carrier. That way if there is an accident it will soak most of it up. I would also think some sort of item that smells like your home or your mom might be comforting to put in there, like an old t-shirt.

We did fine on the trip. Mom cried from the time she gave us our sedative until she picked us up. We were good and could not care less.

Good luck on the move. I am sure you will do just great.
[notify]

Samuel

Chubster.

Purred: Thu May 25, '06 5:13am PST 
Thanks for the responses. We're about to go in a few minutes.

So far so good though, I let mom give me my pill without too much fuss, even though I tried to trick her into thinking I had swallowed it when I really hadn't.

Hopefully I'll be able to take a nap during the flight if silly Henrietta doesn't keep me up being excited.
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Thu May 25, '06 5:02pm PST 
Be sure to let us know how everything went. Good Luck!
[notify]

Samuel

Chubster.

Purred: Thu May 25, '06 6:04pm PST 
We made it in one piece.
Of course we were very well behaved and everyone at the airport loved us.

However, now that we're at our mom's mom's house, I'm a little nervous and hiding in the shower. This place is MUCH bigger than my house.
[notify]

Ollie

I'm cute and I- know it!

Purred: Fri May 26, '06 11:06am PST 
so samuel... you made it.. im very happy!!!

Purrs
Ollie
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Fri May 26, '06 11:52am PST 
We are glad to hear that you made it without any problems. Don't worry, you will learn to love your new home once you get your smell on everything. MeOW! - Diego
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Fri May 26, '06 1:27pm PST 
I'm glad your flight went well!!

Enjoy Chicago, it's a grreat city!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2