GO!

Moving from Montreal to Calgary

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ollie

I'm cute and I- know it!

Purred: Wed May 17, '06 7:11am PST 
Hi! My mummy is nervous about this big move. She has got me a nice big carrier, so she can give me a nice blanky, and room to move. Every weekend, I do go in the car, and I am good in the car. I might meow a few times, but do you blame me? I haven't been in the car for more than an hour.. and this drive will be a good 3-4 days, with atleast 10 hours of driving. My mummy thinks that I should take something to calm me. She's worried that I will get all scared. She also bought me a harness with a leash.. that way i can stretch at rest areas. What do you think my mummy should do? Should I take something to keep me calm? Are there any reactions to these things?
[notify]

Jack the- GiantCat- HumphreyRIP

"I am the Giant- Cat!"

Purred: Wed May 17, '06 7:43pm PST 
Good heavens! If you're that good in the car already I don't think you'll have any trouble! Everybody meows a little bit! I wouldn't want to give you any sedative. So many of them make us into drooling idiots. Your mommy will probably put all sorts of good things in there with you besides your blanky and she'll be extra good to you every night with snuggles and your good food. The only thing I would suggest is if Feliway makes a SPRAY that has cat facial pheromones that would be an excellent item to buy to spray the inside of your crate. xxx
[notify]

Hobo

Let me out

Purred: Thu May 18, '06 9:54pm PST 
Ollie,
You will like living in Alberta because everyone is so friendly. You don't have to worry about rats or fleas here. My Mom and Dad take me on long trips every year. I like to look out the truck window or just sleep in the back seat. I am sure you will get used to traveling very quickly so your Mom shouldn't have to worry about it. I hope you have a good safe trip.
Hobo
[notify]

Ollie

I'm cute and I- know it!

Purred: Fri May 19, '06 7:50am PST 
Thank you Jack and Hobo for all your info..... im still a little nervous... but I think i will survive. I think my mummy is more nervous than me! MOL!
Mummy went to the vet last night, and they mentioned that I should take gravol. have you ever tried taking that?
[notify]

Misha

I'll do it- tomorrow!

Purred: Sat May 20, '06 7:27pm PST 
I'm interested in all of your tips and suggestions about moving. My Mommy will be moving after the first of the year from Baltimore, MD to South Florida. I don't do so well in the car, my my canine sister does pretty well. I get sick going to the vet's. So, I'm taking this all in. Thanks! Misha
[notify]

Leela

Apollo's- Connecticut- Jungle Queen!

Purred: Tue May 23, '06 6:08pm PST 
Mommy was telling us about when her family moved with their cat Whistler from Illinois to New York (two days of driving). They had Whistler take a couple of tranquilizers the first day, and he was a mess. Mommy told us that she was crying because of the sad shape he was in. The second day, Gramma and Grampa didn't medicate Whistler and apart from a couple of mews, he was fine.

So based on the experience in this home, we say ix-nay on the tranquilizers. We may be moving about 5 hours away to New York (we live in Connecticut), so we understand your Mommy's concern.

Good luck! smile

Leela & Sugar Baby
[notify]

Ollie

I'm cute and I- know it!

Purred: Wed May 24, '06 7:10am PST 
Thank you Leela & Sugar Baby,
I went to the vet with my mummy and they told her to give me Gravol one hour before I leave. 12.5 mg per 8 hours.
They also said that Gravol doesn't have the same effects on the brain like tranqs.
If you are interested, ask your vet. This is what my vet told me
and good luck with everyone's move.
Mummy will let you know how the move goes!
[notify]

Donny the Astro-Kitty

My heart is- broke.

Purred: Sat May 27, '06 1:19pm PST 
Good luck with the move! I live in Calgary already, you will totally love it here!
[notify]

Ollie

I'm cute and I- know it!

Purred: Mon May 29, '06 6:20am PST 
Hi Donny,

so you already live in Alberta.. thats great! I will have a kitty to meow with! MOL
[notify]

Artemis

Mexican Jumping- Cat

Purred: Mon May 29, '06 8:38pm PST 
A few months ago my sister and I moved from Thunder Bay, Ontario all the way to Halifax. We stopped in and visited some friends along the way so it was a 6 day drive with long days. We also camped two of the nights. Since mommy and daddy were both in the car we were able to come out of our carriers in the car once and a while because mommy could watch us to ensure we didn't get in daddy's way while he was driving but there were some times through Toronto and Montreal when we had to be in our carrier for almost the whole day. We got out at rest stops and had a little litter box and food and water dish with us for breaks. For the most part we loved it. It took a bit to settle us in but once we were on the road a while we were just fine old pros. We even enjoyed it. We were fairly young at the time and pretty good in the car in general but we had a blast. I think you will be just fine. We have also flown in the plane and never used sedatives. We find that it makes us all stupid and lethargic and then we can't clearly communicate our needs to our mommy and daddy. If we were really freaked it might be a different story but we're good with vehicles. We'd much rather feel normal... feeling drugged may make us more uneasy when we came out of it not to mention possibly nauseous from the meds. We are very spoiled and very tolerant kitties. We even have baths without much fuss so perhaps we're not the best example, but it's just proof it can be done. Good luck on your trip. You will find Calgary very different from Montreal. I personally like both cities although I've only ever been to Montreal. Mommy has told me lots of stories about Calgary though. I'm sure you will have a blast. The drive through the praries is likely to put you to sleep anyway so you wont need a sedative for that segment... he he he.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2