GO!

Which is more traumatic? A car trip and a strange place, or staying home with evil sister?

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Eve

NOOOOO! let me- do it!

Purred: Fri Apr 14, '06 12:19pm PST 
My sister and I don't get along at all. My parents planned on a vacation this winter, but decided against it because of us. This summer, they really want to go away. For the first week, my nana and pop will take care of us. The second week, my parents and grandparents will be together. They won't board us, and don't really trust anyone else to watch us. My parents are considering taking me and leaving my sister home (They know someone who will watch her - it's much easier to care for one cat, than two fighting ones) Is it scarier for me to be in the car for about 3 hrs and a strange home than to be with my mean sister? My parents are really worried about my safety. My sister is on kitty prozac to try to help the situation, but no one will be able to give it to her when they are away. They are worried that I will be really sad locked in a strange room by myself for a few days, not to mention the car ride. Does anyone have any advice or experience in this matter? Thank you so much!
[notify]

Pokey

Formerly Feral

Purred: Fri Apr 14, '06 8:26pm PST 
I would choose the car ride, but that's just me. I think your parent's leaving will just add to your sisters stress, and then her without her medication.....
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri Apr 14, '06 9:09pm PST 
Maybe they should take both of you?
That way, they can keep giving your sis her meds. She probably shouldn't be deprived of them for that long, it could negate all the progress she's made so far and then it can be weeks for them to start being effective again.

Eve

NOOOOO! let me- do it!

Purred: Sat Apr 15, '06 6:03am PST 
thanks for your advice everyone...my parents would take both of us (you are right about not stopping the medication), but how could we even be in the same car together? it's a very frustrating situation - we would need two seperate areas in the house we are staying at too - it just doesn't seem practical (plus my 5 yr old human cousin can't be trusted not to let anyone out) *sigh* oh, what to do, what to do?
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sat Apr 15, '06 12:55pm PST 
Hey, pretty Eve! ;-)

Who were your mommy and daddy planning on having look after Emma during the trip? Maybe they could take HER and keep giving her the medicine, and YOU could stay home and have the sitter look after you?

That way, when you have the house all to yourself, we can all come over and have a big par-tay!!!

Isabel

breakfast is to- be served at- 5:30

Purred: Sat Apr 15, '06 1:07pm PST 
Hmmm- have you ever considered a pet sitter?

If you look around you should be able to find someone who will administer medicine. Alot of them will even do shots (for diabetic kitties). Our sitter for example is a former vet technician who realized she could make a ton more money as a pet sitter (I don't think vet techs are very well paid).

She charges $10 per visit (for cats) and another $5 for meds which is still cheaper than being boarded at the vet. (Plus my brother Patrick does not behave well at the vet). I know she charges more for d*gs becuase they need to be walked.

You can pre-screen them and ask for references.

Its probably not a good idea to stop and start medicines- you want to maintain a continous blood level. I would ask your vet for a reference for a sitter- this problem comes up all the time.

If it was us- my mom would leave both of us at home with a cat sitter she trusted. Our petsitter leaves messages on my mom's answering machine daily just to let her know everything is ok. Sounds silly but my mom does check and it does reassure her.

It might be an opportunity for the two of you to work out your differences without parental intervention. I seriously doubt they would come home to find the two of you best friends but I also equally doubt either one of you would really be all that much worse for the wear.

Besides most of us us kitties do not travel well.
[notify]

Eve

NOOOOO! let me- do it!

Purred: Sun Apr 16, '06 6:55am PST 
Thanks isabelly - the more my parents think about, the more the pet sitter seems like a better idea. Emma is going to the vet this week and they will talk to the vet and the techs. Mom just worries (yeah, we know she's crazy) that I will miss them too much. I follow mommy everywhere and cry when I can't find her. It's good to know that your sitter calls - mom would defenitely want that! It's really hard for my parents to enjoy themselves if they think we are in trouble or fighting. Hey Ben - I love the idea of a party!!! Now that I am one, I can stay up later ;-) I'll make sure my parents stock up the bird feeder so we have plenty of entertainment!
[notify]

Lizzie

Thats MISS- Lizzie to YOU!!!

Purred: Sun Apr 16, '06 9:46am PST 
Hi Eve,
Do you have carriers? Your sister can go in one and you in the other. I personaly would be safer staying at home but whenever I go on car rides I go in my kitty carrier.
[notify]

Sparky

One lucky- cat/Best cat in- the world

Purred: Mon Apr 17, '06 11:42am PST 
Boy o Boy, that is hard. You should not be alone with your poor sister I don't think. I know of a smaller cat who really got hurt when the family left them. Got a bite and it became infected. Do you have any person who could take the "evil" one to their house for her safety and make sure she gets her meds? Glad your family is thinking of your safety-good luck.
[notify]

Ra

Food or sleep,- decisions,- decisions

Purred: Mon Apr 17, '06 6:24pm PST 
Do your parents have a travel cage for each of you? Maybe that would work - and cover the sides, so you can't see each other.

My mum has four cages - one for each of us - mainly cos she couldn't lift a single cage with two of us in it, and we're so big that is the most that will fit, and we are REALLY friendly in such a small cage, so it's best to have our own.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2