GO!

Car Training Your Kitties

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Buddy

dumb but lovable

Purred: Mon May 2, '05 3:43pm PST 
My mommy is car training me. It's kind of scary. I have to stay on my leash, but at least I don't have to be in the awful cat-carrier! We don't drive far, and I get to sit on Mommy's lap and stick my face out the open window. It's fun, but also scary. I never know if we're going to the vet's or some place fun. If you want to be car trained too, my mommy can give your mommy or daddy tips through me.
[notify]

Codey

Born to cat nap.

Purred: Mon May 2, '05 5:39pm PST 
sure! i need to be trained too. my momma and her parents are moving in a few months, and i have to go ing the car *shivers* i hate the car!! And you'r right, I never know WHERE were going, but if my familys moving i have to me car trained, any tips for me?
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Mon May 2, '05 9:01pm PST 
We moved the first time when my brother Arthur and I were about 1 1/2 years old. It was a 7 hour drive to our new house. Our mommy didn't think there was enough room in the kitty carrier for both of us so she put ME in the carrier and let Arthur roam inside the car.

Well, Arthur is such a wussy-pussy that he spent the first hour or so freaking out--runing around howling, panting, drooling, standing up in our mommy's lap and trying to drive the car himself, then flopping over with his eyes rolled back in his head like he was dying. Finally mommy popped open the carrier door and pushed him in with me.

I started washing Arthur's face and his ears, and before long he had calmed right down. We snuggled together the rest of the way to our new place.

Now, whenever we go anywhere in the car, Arthur and I both squeeze into the carrier. So what if it's a 'cozy' fit? We are much happier when we're together. smile

Codey

Born to cat nap.

Purred: Tue May 3, '05 10:30am PST 
But Beatrice, weren't you scared going in the carrier!? 80)
[notify]

Buddy

dumb but lovable

Purred: Tue May 3, '05 3:24pm PST 
Well, the first thing to know is that a kitty new to cars should NEVER be allowed to roam around the car! It's dangerous for several reasons. First, a kitty stomping on the gas pedal is baaaaad...and second, if there's a wreck, loose cat = out the window! Always stay on your leash. Make sure the collar is too tight to squeeze out of, though not so tight as to be choking.
Make sure there's newspaper on all the seats and floor space to minimize accident-clean-up. If you have a favorite snuggly toy, blanket or pillow, make sure your mommy or daddy takes it with you. It's nice to have familiar things around.
When Mommy or Daddy are first training you, they should take you for short drives to safe places, like a friend's house, a local pet-friendly park, or just an empty parking lot. Let your mommy or daddy show you around wherever they take you on your leash, to get you used to it. As you get used to short car trips, make them longer and longer.
[notify]

Buddy

dumb but lovable

Purred: Tue May 10, '05 4:28pm PST 
Uhh...there's more to car training than what I've told you so far...but if no one else posts, I won't know who else needs to know how much more...well, if anyone wants to know something, you can "purr me a message" here on Catster!
[notify]

Roxanne- (kitty- heaven)

Jacques' one and- only

Purred: Mon May 16, '05 8:53am PST 
Hey, kitties, see my responses to Solo's and Pokey's posts...lots of info on my experiences there.
[notify]

Solo

Krazy for Kitty- Kaviar

Purred: Mon May 16, '05 11:25am PST 
Yes, Buddy, please keep the car tips coming. I am heading on a trip to Nashville (not to see Elvis though) in December, and my cat-mom can use all the help she can get.
[notify]

Cedric

master of the- kittyflop

Purred: Fri May 27, '05 5:34pm PST 
Tips from a somewhat well travelled cat:

-- Get used to spending time in the carrier first. Getting well aquainted with what a familliar world looks like from inside this carrier will ease up on the stress factor.

-- Take short trips first. Arount the block - to the store and back. Then mabye across town.

-- If mom and/or dad have to stop for lunch, on a long trip insist they bring a litter pan along.

-- DONT try let mom and/or dad sneak you into a hotel at nite. We deserve to have our presence declared and properly recognized!
[notify]

Solo

Krazy for Kitty- Kaviar

Purred: Sun May 29, '05 2:53pm PST 
Hi Cedric, so what's a "long" trip? I will be going for about 8 hours, probably a little longer since my cat-mom has to go to the bathroom like every five minutes. I have read from some of the other smart Catsters on here that they don't have to pee (or won't) until they're safe and sound at their destination. Like, even if their cat parents put out a litter box at a rest stop, they won't go. How will my mom know to do that for me? Also, I agree- we are going to Nashville and have heard that there are a lot of pet friendly hotels there! (plus now we can look for them on Catster too). My cat uncle is having surgery and the place he's hospicing at is pet friendly so we are probably staying there. One place wanted to charge $25 extra a day for me- THAT is ridiculous. Maybe if they were serving me tuna sirloin, right? It's not like they'd even change my litter or water, either. It's just a rip off!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3