GO!

Losing hair around the mouth and sore looking patch - advice please?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mila 'The- Diva' Purz

Though she be- but little, she- is fierce.

Purred: Sat May 23, '15 3:22am PST 
hey everyone,

My diva-ish missy Mila has very recently developed a small but sore looking hairless patch just above her top lip, i noticed it a couple of weeks ago but i honestly thought it was just a little dry dust from her food as i recently switched her from wet food to dry and she also has some dust on her nose which is proving hard to shift! However having looked a little closer the patch seems to have lost a little hair and is now red and looks a little swollen, i also think shes starting to lose a little hair on her chin and may be developing another patch there.

She doesn't seem to bothered by it at all but I have booked her in for a Vets visit next Tuesday to be on the safe side, however she really finds the vets a stressful experience and doesn't cope at all well with it so Id prefer to avoid this if possible. Does anyone know what this might be? Or have any recommendations? Any advice would be appreciated,

thanks xx
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat May 23, '15 3:57am PST 
This calls for a vet visit - no one can diagnose over the internet. Be sure you're using glass or stainless steel dishes. Plastic can hold bacteria that could cause skin irritations. But keep that vet appointment!
[notify]

Chloe (1996 - 2012)

Raw Kills

Purred: Sat May 23, '15 7:17am PST 
Cats will loose their hair when they are infested with fleas (this is something I see often). The first thing you need to do is to get rid of the fleas.

Make sure you groom Mila every day. I recommend feeding either Hill’s Science Diet Adult Light Dry Cat Food or Hill’s Science Diet Adult Perfect Weight Dry Cat Food. Purchase VetriScience Omega 3, 6, 9 Dog & Cat SoftGel Capsules, puncture one and squeeze it onto her food every other day.

Chloe’s Mom
Licensed Veterinary Technician

wisheswishes
[notify]

Mila 'The- Diva' Purz

Purred: Sat May 23, '15 7:39am PST 
hi, thank you both for your responses, I will keep the vets appointment, I'm not sure about fleas as she has a flea treatment every month and her worming treatment every 3 months and shes fully up to date. I'm currently feeding her IAMs dry food, I had her on a name brand wet food for a short while but it really didn't seem to agree with her, since switching to dry shes much more happy and regular. I have no other pets in the house and shes a house cat so wouldn't be bringing in fleas from outside.

I did read a little about feline acne and I'm wondering if that's an issue so at the first opportunity will buy her new feeding bowls, keep your paws crossed for us! thank you for your advice big hug
[notify]

Chloe (1996 - 2012)

Raw Kills

Purred: Sat May 23, '15 7:56am PST 
Even if she is on flea medication, I would recommend checking her for fleas. I would recommend Hill’s over Iams because Iams is not 100% precisely balanced nutritionally, Hill’s is what every veterinarian I have worked for has recommended, Iams isn’t made in the USA, it contains chicken by-product meal, it has artificial colors/flavors/preservatives, it will not do anything to improve your cat’s skin and it doesn’t contain clinically proven antioxidants for immunity. Is she scratching herself?

I recommend trying a new type of cat litter, as some cats are allergic to certain litters (I recommend Dr Elsey’s or World’s Best). You might also want to try her on Hill’s, as Iams contains Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Corn Grits and Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, all of which can be allergy triggers for cats.

Chloe’s Mom
[notify]

Mila 'The- Diva' Purz

Purred: Sat May 23, '15 8:13am PST 
Thank you, I'm in the UK and I've done a little research seems I would need to order that litter online which can be problematic as I work full time so taking delivery could be an issue, but I will definitely look into changing her litter as I'm not overly happy with her current litter It's far too dusty. I've heard alot about worlds best so if I can work out the delivery I'll give it a go.

I use IAMS as its what my vet and almost every vet over here seems to recommend but I will look into hills and see if that's a viable option too and discuss that with my vet next week, I really appreciate your advice and guidence, thank you once again flowers
[notify]

Beepers - Our Handsome- Angel

Father of- champions!

Purred: Sat May 23, '15 9:27am PST 
Sounds like it could be a rodent ulcer (which has nothing to do with rodents). You can Google for info, if you want to read about it before your vet visit. Hoping it's easily treated, whatever it is!
[notify]

Mila 'The- Diva' Purz

Purred: Sat May 23, '15 10:50am PST 
Hi Beepers!

Thank you for the info, I will certainly look that up! I'm hoping its easily treated too, luckily it doesn't seem to be causing any discomfort but I do worry as any anxious mother does, but as I write this the diva is laying on her throw next to me snoring peacefully and dreaming sweetly.....

The life of a pampered cat! And btw, how adorable are you! big grin
[notify]

Chloe (1996 - 2012)

Raw Kills

Purred: Sun May 24, '15 5:13am PST 
I don’t know what litter is available in the UK, so look for Tidy Cats, Feline Pine, World’s Best and Dr Elsey’s. Arm & Hammer and Blue Buffalo also make great cat litters.

While Iams certainly isn’t a bad quality food and I would recommend it over many brands, I can look at the GA on a bag of Iams and tell you that it is too low in protein, too low in fat, too high in fiber, too high in magnesium, too low in taurine, too low in Omega-6 Fatty Acids and too low in Omega-3 Fatty Acids.

Chloe’s Mom
[notify]

Angel Baby- RIP

i am a cutie- kitty

Purred: Sun May 24, '15 8:31am PST 
another possibility is feline acne, allergic to something in the dry food.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2