GO!

Female kitten straining to pee ??

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Lilac

Purred: Mon Aug 18, '14 6:11pm PST 
She's 5 months old, to be spayed this Saturday.
I noticed today that she sits in the litter box for up to 5 minutes, with her tail up, as if waiting for her body to produce something, but in the end there is only a very small wet spot (urine) left after her. I don't see any blood. She does not make any sounds to indicate that anything is painful.
/Worried. What could it be?

Edited by author Mon Aug 18, '14 6:12pm PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Aug 19, '14 4:27am PST 
Don't even mess around with this. Urinary issues are very dangerous and can actually be fatal. Get the cat to the vet quickly and make sure it's nothing serious. If she's not already on a wet diet get her on one and add some water to the food to make sure she has extra and gets flushed out. A dry diet can dehydrate your cat so that her kidneys are in danger. It can also cause urinary crystals to form. This can be avoided with enough fluids in her food. A cat can't drink enough to make up for the lack of moisture in kibble. Good luck!
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Tue Aug 19, '14 7:50am PST 
BK is right that straining to pee should be checked out immediately. You may need to have her spay surgery delayed if the cause is an infection or blockage.

Sending purrs! Keep us posted. flowers

Edited by author Tue Aug 19, '14 9:01am PST

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Aug 19, '14 9:07am PST 
Sounds like a urinary tract problem. Take your cat to the vet before Saturday. Not being able to pee normally can result in harm to the kidneys. Here's info about urinary tract issues: http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth
[notify]