GO!

Black spots on nose and mouth

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '14 4:13am PST 
Hello,

I have noticed a few black spots on a cat's nose and mouth. They first appeared three weeks ago.
Here are a couple of photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aex801t7o9rbdw4/IMG_20140803_13 4514.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjhnmdolcksrc1l/IMG_20140803_1 34545.jpg

Do you have any idea what it is? Can it be passed to other cats or humans?

Thanks a lot for your help.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '14 10:32am PST 
The spots on his chin and cheeks look like feline acne. Your vet can prescribe some antibacterial wash and ointments that can help clear it up (don't use human acne products!).

If you're feeding with plastic dishes, you'll need to switch to glass, stainless steel or ceramic because plastic can harbor bacteria that are transferred onto the skin during eating. Arthur had feline acne when he was young that disappeared completely once I switched to glass food dishes!

I'm more concerned about the spot on his nose, though. Has he always had that? Have you had the vet check it out?

Good luck! Keep us posted! kitty

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '14 2:45pm PST 
Here is a pretty good article about feline acne:
Feline Acne - Causes, Symptoms and Treatmentway to go

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '14 4:20pm PST 
Looks like acne to me, too. The vet can prescribe medicine to treat it. You can also wash under the cat's chin with witch hazel (sold alongside the rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide in the first aid section of the pharmacy). Use a washcloth to gently rub the witch hazel under the chin. You don't need to rinse. If your cat will let you, comb under the chin with a fine toothed comb. Comb the fur backwards to remove any dry scabby bits. Then apply the medicine the vet prescribed.

I'm not sure what the nose spot isthinking It's common for orange cats, even orange/white ones, to develop black freckles on their noses, lips, and inside the mouth as they age. This nose spot doesn't look like a freckle thinking The vet can tell you what it is.
[notify]

Sammie

little stinker

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '14 5:16pm PST 
you might want to consider a trip to your vet, it may be something else than acne. my two boys get acne, and the only get it on there chins and lips. it looks like the kitty was missing some fur too? might be a skin condition too. for acne you can get Pyoben Gel, its just like the acne cream people use. hope this helps.
[notify]