GO!

Asthma

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Lynx

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '14 7:02am PST 
My cat had increased breathing and no other problems
I brought her to the vet yesterday and they checked her heart and lungs all sounded ok. Vet took a xray 2 view and told me it was asthma and gave her a injection of Prednisolone which will last 24 to 36 hours. I have to call vet today and let her know how lynx is breathing.Today she is breathing somewhat better but not totally normal. If this works for lynx I have to start her on oral. My question is this medication could harm organs and also cause diabetes.How do I go about finding out what is causing her asthma and get her off this steroid. I forgot to add she is not and never coughed only heavy breathing.If anyone knows PLEASE HELP LYNX!confused

Edited by author Fri Aug 1, '14 7:06am PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '14 9:23am PST 
Here is a good web site all about feline asthma: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/ way to go

Inhaled medicines, such as Flovent, are preferred for most cats. You need to use a special cat inhaler to administer the medicine. The Aerokat is popular. Long term steroid use can cause other health issues in *some* cats, such as steroid induced diabetes which may be temporary. Ask the vet about inhaled medicine.

Sometimes asthma doesn't show up on x rays as "donut holes" shrug There are other ways to diagnose asthma, such as a tracheal wash.

BTW, diabetes is a very manageable disease if you are willing to learn and do everything that is involved in the treatment way to go Treatment may not involve insulin injections but it depends on the cat and blood glucose levels. Insulin may only be needed for a short time before the diabetes can be diet controlled and/or the cat goes off steroids.
[notify]

Lynx

Purred: Mon Aug 4, '14 10:34am PST 
Thanks Merlin Lynx started Prednisolone 8/1/14 0.25cc every 12 hours for 3 days then once a day for 3 days then every other day 5 doses only.When she had the xrays they checked her sugar no full blood test. She also needs teeth pulled 2 neck lesions on her teeth. I want to take the safest route for my Lynx.How long does it normally take for me to see an improvement in her breathing third day on Prednisolone? I get a small social security check only so how can I keep the cost down & give Lynx the treatment she needs? Lynx is my best friend so I want too do the right thing!!
[notify]