GO!

Maine Coon Heart Problems

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Other posts by this user

Purred: Sun Sep 4, '05 11:31am PST 
I have a Maine Coon. I was told that this breed could have heart problems as mine does. I started her on a very small amount of Hawthorne Berry tinture. Does anyone have any good news on this breed and help. Thanks.
[notify]

Aragorn

Mommy's Handsome- Boy

Purred: Mon Sep 5, '05 12:07pm PST 
Uh oh! I'm a Maine Coon too! (Mix, actually) I don't want to have heart problems! Does this apply to mix kitties as well? I've never heard anything about it.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Sep 5, '05 12:22pm PST 
Maine Coons are prone to heart problems. I'm a Maine Coon mix and one of my birth brothers has a heart murmur. He is the only one out of our litter of four though. My heart seems fine so far and the evil vet says that it's just something to keep an eye on.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Sep 19, '05 11:39pm PST 
In case anyone is still interested in this topic, I found this article about heart disease in us Maine coons. The article says that it is typically more severe in boy kitties. (Sorry, Aragorn.) We can be screened for it by ultrasound when we are two years old, for boys, or three or four years old, for girls. Be sure you go to a vet that has experience with heart disease in Maine coons.
[notify]