GO!

Cinnamon might have FIP...

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Mittens

Purred: Fri Jan 24, '14 2:22pm PST 
we have had Mittens since July, we loved her so much we wanted another one for her to play with. so we got Cinnamon from a shelter at the end of December. I had been meaning to take Cinnamon into the vet just because she had had a cold before we got her and had been treated with antibiotic although her eye still seemed a little bit wet. well her eye seemed to get better (but eventually got worse) and we had to take mittens to the emergency room due to her vomiting which they felt was likely due to a food change. needless to say that unexpected vet bill was not cheap so we waited because she seemed healthy. well her stomach started to get bloated so today I took her in. They said she might possibly have FIP. they did some blood work which I wont get back till Monday.. this is breaking my heart. I mean we love Cinnamon but we have only had her a short time but losing both would be so difficult. he said it is contagious but that des not mean mittens will for sure have it. he said it is transferred by saliva. im so nervous because they often eat out of same bowl, play with same toys wrestle with each other ect. and on tope of that, mittens was spayed yesterday which he said will probably lower her immune system. he said to keep them separate till we know but im still so scared. what should I do? I though about taking cinnamon to my moms for the weekend just to be safe but I don't know.
[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

I know you have- chicken & I want- it.

Purred: Fri Jan 24, '14 8:52pm PST 
First of all I am sending prayers and purrs your way. Second the blood test will only point to indicators of FIP, there is no conclusive test. The most reliable test would be to do a rialta test on the fluid in her belly. Thirdly FIP is not contagious. FIP is a mutation of the corona virus, it happens in only about 5% of the cats that have the virus, so the odds are in your favor on your other cat not getting sick at all. The mutation occurs in the individual cat and is not spread, the worst thing that could happen is your other cat contracts the corona virus, which most likely has already happened, but 95% of all cats with corona virus NEVER get sick. I lost a brother to FIP in 2009 and none of the rest of us got sick. Do some research join a support group, it will help you. FIPCatSupport@yahoogroups.com
[notify]

Mittens

Purred: Fri Jan 24, '14 9:12pm PST 
thanks for your response I truly hope mittens does not get sick as well. the problem I m running into is that there is contradicting information. He is doing the blood work to also rule out other possible diseases. My Vet did tell me it was contagious, and weather it is or not I think im going to keep them separate till we know more, and when mittens has recovered from her surgery. does anyone know what else could be happening? I mean the only symptoms she has is the bloated stomach and seems to be waddling when she walk but not terribly. she also seems less energetic. she will still play but not as hard.
[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

Purred: Sat Jan 25, '14 9:31am PST 
If the bloating is caused by fluid in her stomach the fluid needs to be tested using the rialta method, that is more reliable than the blood test. Blood test can only indicate that the conditions are there for FIP, it is not conclusive. And no FIP is not contagious, FIP occurs when the corona virus mutates, that mutation occurs in the individual cat, it does not spread to others. The corona virus is pretty common and experts say that at least 90% of all cats already carry the corona virus. They are unsure why it mutates into FIP in some but not others, but the odds are in your favor for you other cat.
[notify]

Mittens

Purred: Sat Jan 25, '14 4:54pm PST 
My husband just brought up a good point... it does not look like she has urinated much the past day. he was scooping the box where he saw feces but just a small amount of water. now, Mittens our other cat drinks a crazy amount ever since we got her the fountain. there is always a lot of urine in the box however since the are separated right now and I changed the litter an hour before the vet yesterday, so that was about 30 hours ago, now we can see who is doing what. could that be the problem? either way I was going to take her for a second opinion and I might call the emergency room tonight but could that be it?

im going to create another pot about this but I though id ask here too.

TIA!!!!!
[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

Purred: Sun Jan 26, '14 9:44am PST 
Most likely the vet felt of her kidneys/bladder while she was being examined. I am all for getting a second opinion though when the diagnosis seems to be a serious one. It couldn't hurt, there are a lot of things that mimic signs of FIP, many less serious.
[notify]