GO!

Not blocked post-obstruction, but still having trouble with urination?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Milo

Purred: Wed Jan 22, '14 8:33pm PST 
Simon was brought to an emergency clinic for a bladder obstruction. He was catheterized overnight, and was transferred to his regular vet the next morning. The obstruction was cleared and his bladder drained. They sent us home with anti-inflammatory and pain medication Monday morning. For the rest of the day he was his normal self, if a little groggy from the pain medication.

Tuesday afternoon, I noticed he was peeing less and less, and it was bloody. I was afraid he had blocked again, and broke down. Took him to the vet again. After being catheterized while awake , the vet said he wasn't blocked at all, but he was having pain urination. His bladder was drained and flushed again.

Now, he's having trouble again. He eats and drinks and is still groggy from pain medication, but he leaks bloody urine and can't manage more than a few drops in the litter box. I'm bringing him back tomorrow morning, and have already left a voicemail for the vet. In the meantime, is there a way I can get him to pee?

Once I reach my credit limit, about $200 more, neither me or my family can do anything financially frown Our very last option is to put my baby boy down.

Edited by author Wed Jan 22, '14 8:39pm PST

[notify]

Cowboy

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Jan 23, '14 7:54am PST 
He has a bladder infection, hence the blood, and peeing only a few drops. Its very painful, and it feels like he has to go all the time, real bad, even if there is nothing in there. The urine is too concentrated, and it burns his bladder walls.

He needs to be on antibiotics for 10 days.

You need to feed him wet only, and mixed with water, so its real soupy, that, is what will flush him out.

Its the exact same thing, that a human doctor would do for a human.

Edited by author Thu Jan 23, '14 8:21am PST

[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri Jan 24, '14 7:46am PST 
I don't have any first-hand experience with this issue, but from what I've heard from people who have and from what I've read, some inflammation, bleeding, straining and leakage is to be expected after an episode like this. The fact that he's eating and drinking OK is a good sign.

Did the vet give you any medicine for pain or inflammation? Did he suggest subcutaneous fluids to keep Simon flushed out? These are some things to talk about if he hasn't already.

I hope Simon feels better soon! Sending purrs! Please keep us posted. hug

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Wed Feb 12, '14 1:11pm PST 
Hope you're doing OK, Milo! Still sending purrs! hug

Goose

Purred: Thu Feb 20, '14 8:23am PST 
Hoping kitty is better
I researched help with.payng vet bills
Sending hugs to.you

https://www.warreneckstein.com/g/Groups-Providing-Financ ial-Assistance-For-Veterinary-Bills/299.html
[notify]

Goose

Purred: Thu Feb 20, '14 8:23am PST 
Hoping kitty is better
I researched help with.payng vet bills
Sending hugs to.you

https://www.warreneckstein.com/g/Groups-Providing-Financ ial-Assistance-For-Veterinary-Bills/299.html
[notify]