GO!

Considering a Special Needs Cat

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Thu Oct 24, '13 7:01pm PST 
Hi, everyone! I hate posting as a "Guest ID," but I don't want to make a profile since I haven't adopted this cat yet.

The kitten in question is about 4 months old, and a beautiful heterochromic, rumpy Manx boy. The rescue group assures me he is sweet as can be, playful, and loves to snuggle. I personally have a huge soft-spot for heterochromic cats (he's got one cute green one and a stunning blue one). I am meeting him tomorrow to see if we are compatible.

There's just one little problem: He is special-needs. He has bowel control issues that sound like megacolon (apparently sometimes called "Manx syndrome"). I understand that is can be managed ... In fact, I had a dog years ago who had the same problems do to a backyard breeder giving him solid kibble before he was even weened!

What it comes down to is:

1) Am I crazy to consider him?
2) Has anyone else done this seemingly uphill battle with a Manx? What tips do you have?

I hope I am in the right place.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Oct 25, '13 5:02am PST 
You're not crazy. I foster mostly special needs cats and although I've never had a Manx syndrome, I have a CH girl who is almost blind and has IBD. She's an absolute joy to have around and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. If you have the time and the means I say do it!
[notify]

Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Fri Oct 25, '13 11:40am PST 
Make sure you talk to folks in the rescue who have been working with the cat. They should have some insight. Ask who has been seeing the cat for veterinary care and if you don't already have a vet, you might consider staying with that vet since they have already seen him. Most rescues are great about "after care" or being a resource, especially for owners of special needs cats because they want the human/cat match to be a successful one, so you should expect a lot of support from the rescue. Also, do your research. With a special needs cat, you, as the owner, have to be the cat's biggest advocate. And with that job, knowledge is power, so the more information you have about what to expect with Manx syndrome (which has to do with an inability of some Manx cats to control their anal sphincter because of incomplete nerve formation at the base of the tail) the better off you'll be and the more successful you'll be.

But aside from that, I say go for it! Special needs cats are fabulous and very appreciative of the love and affection they get. Best of luck to you.
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Fri Oct 25, '13 12:44pm PST 
good for you! I have no experience with this, but I have a couple special needs kitties, and would not trade them for anything. Too many people think that conditions cannot be managed, and so many kitties go without homes. I think it is great that you are thinking of giving this little one a home of his own! Hope it works out & we look forward to seeing a page & sending you a friend request!cheerhappy dance
[notify]

Percy

Purred: Fri Oct 25, '13 5:22pm PST 
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your posts & some research made meowmie feel a ton better about bringing me home! I'm still settling in (I've only been here an hour!) but I really think I'm fitting in here.

More updates will be posted I'm sure!
[notify]

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Sat Oct 26, '13 10:12am PST 
Hi Percy!

Our furiend Navin R. Johnson had Manx Syndrome.

Navin R. Johnson