GO!

Kitten diarrhea for 5 days

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Gemma

Purred: Tue Oct 15, '13 7:03pm PST 
Hi all,

As you probably know I have a 6 week old kitten. Since last Friday she has been having diarrhea. I don't know if its because of the Revolution I gave her the night before or because I decided to change her food to Blue Wilderness. Once I saw the diarrhea I changed her food back the next day but it hasn't helped. She comes out sometimes with poo all over her and I just want it to stop.

She has a vet appointment on the 26th of October for her first set of shots. I don't know if I should wait til then. Is there anything I can do? I hear pumpkin can help and I have some pure pumpkin puree in my fridge. She also isn't dehydrated. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

P.s. It's not watery its just very soft and looks like a big blob.

Edited by author Tue Oct 15, '13 7:31pm PST

[notify]

Hugo

Purred: Tue Oct 15, '13 8:51pm PST 
I've used Revolution in the past and I've noticed that some of the packages say 6wks+ and some of them say 8wks+. Most other topical meds are 8-12wks + so I might wonder if she's just having a little reaction to it or something.

I wouldn't overly worry unless she stops eating/drinking or the diarrhea gets really bad before your vet appointment. I used to work at an animal sanctuary, we never used pumpkin puree but there's a few brands of canned food that come with a pumpkin sauce and pumpkin pretty high on the ingredients list. Soulistic Chicken & Pumpkin comes to mind, but you can probably just get the canned puree and add it to kitty's existing food for cheaper.
[notify]

Gemma

Purred: Wed Oct 16, '13 6:43am PST 
The Revolution box says 6 wks and up! She still eats very well (after every nap) but she doesn't really drink much. She only eats the canned wet food so she should be getting her water from that. Ill keep a close eye on it. Hopefully it will clear up soon. She doesn't show signs of discomfort she is still plays a lot and acts as happy as can be.
[notify]

Draco

Wait 'til my- father hears- about this!

Purred: Wed Oct 16, '13 8:44am PST 
Revolution always gives my cats diarrhea for about a day.

My cats also had a hard time with Blue Buffalo. Before I made the switch to Blue, they had just been to the vet for shots and checkups and had clean bills of health. I switched hoping that a more protein centered diet would help my big boy lose weight. It's normal for cats/dogs to have stomach problems after switching foods, so I stuck with Blue for a month or so.

The diarrhea persisted though(not bad, but it wasn't pleasant... they were eating, drinking, playing, using the litter box, and they had just been checked, so I figured it had to be the food). I also tried giving them pumpkin; it helped, but it seemed silly to feed them pumpkin instead of just changing their food. I still have about 12 cans and half a bag of Blue. I switched them to Science Diet, and diarrhea went a way within a day or so.
[notify]

Gemma

Purred: Wed Oct 16, '13 10:42am PST 
I only gave her one can of the blue buffalo and then I switched back right away when I saw the diarrhea (that was on Friday) and it isn't clearing up. Its a normal brown color, so there's no blood in it. We took her to the vet a week before this started to happen and she had a clean bill of health as well. Can the Revolution cause diarrhea for a while? or even that one can of blue wilderness? this seems really weird because her poop was completely normal before.
[notify]

Draco

Wait 'til my- father hears- about this!

Purred: Wed Oct 16, '13 12:48pm PST 
I would call the vet and see what he/she thinks. The possible side effects for Revolution says:
ADVERSE REACTIONS:
Pre-approval clinical trials:
Following treatment with Revolution, transient localized alopecia with or without inflammation at or near the site of application was observed in approximately 1% of 691 treated cats. Other signs observed rarely (≤0.5% of 1743 treated cats and dogs) included vomiting, loose stool or diarrhea with or without blood, anorexia, lethargy, salivation, tachypnea, and muscle tremors.

When I had called my vet about it, they made it sound like it was really strange... but the more I searched in forums and product reviews, it seems like a fairly common problem. Mine only had diarrhea for a day, two at the absolute most.

It could just be a lot of changes and stress...

Pumpkin can help because it has a lot of fiber, however, if you give too much it can make it worse because it has a lot of water. Remember that diarrhea is generally caused by the body trying to quickly expel something... covering that up or preventing it from happening could mean that you're just covering up a bigger problem.

If it were me, I would call the vet and see if they think it's a problem. I would also mention the brief change in diet. I would be clear that everything else seems completely normal, and there is no blood and kind of a muddy consistency.

I would be willing to bet that the vet says everything sounds normal (especially since you JUST had a check-up) and tells you just to keep an eye on things.

I know how frustrating it can be! My husband says that he never worries about our cats because I do enough worrying for both of us! wishes
[notify]