GO!

Cat Attacked by a Raccoon

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Wed Oct 2, '13 11:16am PST 
My girlfriend's cat was recently attacked by a raccoon and he wasn't hurt very bad, just a little scratch on the nose which they disinfected and cleaned immediately after they brought him inside. However, we are unsure if we should take him in to get a rabies booster or not? He's up to date on shots, and I mean completely, he got a booster for rabies about a year ago or maybe even less. We live in California where rabies is rare and I don't think its spread through raccoons very often. I've also heard having too many boosters in a short amount of time can cause harm or have bad side effects so I really don't know what to do.
[notify]

Cesar

the orange one

Purred: Wed Oct 2, '13 11:38am PST 
Just call your vet, see what they want you to do. if your cat is updated on its shot, we are guess you be ok. call or stop in at your vet, thats first thing you need to do.

purrs
[notify]

Rory

little red- biscuit head

Purred: Wed Oct 2, '13 5:08pm PST 
Actually raccoons are one of the most common rabies carriers! I would at least call and check with your vet tosee what they say, better safe than sorry. Usually a booster is in order
[notify]

Purred: Wed Oct 2, '13 5:39pm PST 
Raccoons are only common carriers on the East coast.
http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/images/2010-wildlife-reservoirs.gi f

You can view the survailance data here: http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/wild_animals.htm l

In California, skunks and bats are usually what carry rabies and not much else.
[notify]

Cesar

the orange one

Purred: Wed Oct 2, '13 6:30pm PST 
you posted asking for our advice on what to do. wetold you too call the vet, see what they have to say. we did not ask for info about rabies, that does your kitty no good. common sense is your kitty got scratched by a racoon, call the vet. we can bet that any kitty that post on here is going to tell you the same thing.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Oct 2, '13 7:59pm PST 
Its not my call to make, my girlfriend will be calling the vet tomorrow, or the e-vet tonight. As I had nothing to report back about what the vet said since she has yet to call, I didn't mention it. I just felt it necessary to respond to the person who was misinformed about rabies in the area I specified I lived in because it could do them good to know as a pet owner what common rabies carriers they should be on the look out for. I'm attempting to help someone who was helping me.
[notify]

Shade

If your lap is- available, I'll- be there!

Purred: Thu Oct 3, '13 2:29pm PST 
Guest, how is your girlfriend's kitty? What did the vet say? We hope everything is OK.

As for rabies, we think everyone knows the statistics for their area. The map you linked us to is dated but even so it doesn't show any rabies in our own Midwest area which is wrong. There has been a high incidence of rabies in raccoons and skunks in the Midwest for a number of years. This info is from both our own veterinarian and the federal wildlife agents we've talked to.

Rory

little red- biscuit head

Purred: Thu Oct 3, '13 2:45pm PST 
It'as also important to know that even animals that are not the 'usual' carriers in your area can certainly still have rabies. Rabies can and does infect ANY mammal if they arebitten. Even a dog or cat bite should be treated as a possible source if that animal is unknown/unavailable to be inspected. That's why peopleget the whoe rabies protocol done if they are bitten by a dog that no one recognizes; if you wait to see what happens in the cae of unknowns, it's too late. I just had an 8 hour seminar on rabies and we even sawfilms of livestock with it which no one would suspect,i don't think.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Oct 3, '13 10:25pm PST 
It had been a little less than a year since his last rabies booster and they didn't want to overvaccinate, he'll be fine and we just need to watch for infection.

Also this is official CDC information, if cases of rabies were reported to the proper local officials, the cases would most likely be on here, the information in the survailance data for 2011 shows that yes there were cases of reported foxes, skunks, and bats in the mid-west. Further data from previous years does include more information. However it does not say much about raccoons in the midwest and if your local officials say that is an issue then I'd bet on them being right. In my local area though rabies in general is just not a thing that happens very often, and when it does it's almost always from bats.

Edited by author Thu Oct 3, '13 10:28pm PST

[notify]

Shade

If your lap is- available, I'll- be there!

Purred: Fri Oct 4, '13 8:33pm PST 
Glad to hear your friend's kitty is OK. big grin

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2