GO!

Cat won't eat / Dehydrated / losing weight

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Wed Sep 11, '13 6:22pm PST 
Over labor day weekend I noticed my eight year old male cat was hiding a lot, I didn't think a lot of it at first because he likes to hide, anyway. I then noticed he didn't eat much Saturday or Sunday and by Tuesday he wasn't eating at all. We took him to the vet Wednesday and they kept him for two nights. The blood work came back fine, he was dehydrated, so they had him hooked up to an IV for part of each of the days he was there. They sent him home with Royal Canin recovery canned food and steroids. We have been having to feed him with a syringe, he has lost a lot of weight, we offer him dry food, baby food and canned cat food throughout the day, but we always end up throwing it away because he may smell it or lick it but he refuses to eat it. We called the vet again this Monday because he hadn't improved over the weekend. She said there wasn't much they could do except bring him back in and monitor him. She said she could refer us to the college veterinarian school, but she said it would be between $700 and $1500 that would have to be paid upfront JUST for them to see him and do an exam on him, not including any tests or treatment. I'm hesitant, because I don't know if they'll be able to get him better, and I don't like the idea of him spending several days at the vet because he hates it and the house seems so empty without him! But at the same time, I want him to get better. He has lost a lot of weight, his back is so bony and it breaks my heart to have to force feed him.

I would love any advice, or suggestions. frown
[notify]

Cesar

the orange one

Purred: Wed Sep 11, '13 6:54pm PST 
the only thing we can suggest is go get a second opinion from a different vet, and BRING a copy of the blood work results and everything they have done for him with you. i would try that before going to the college first. i might be wrong, but, that much money up front does not seem right, i would call the college and ask them a few questions first, if you decide to go that route.

purrs
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Sep 12, '13 5:19am PST 
The vet shouldn't be giving up on him - there's obviously something wrong and they should be trying to get to the bottom of it. Cesar is right, try another vet and bring all the records.
[notify]