GO!

My new cat is dying

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kyubey

PLAY!!! Play- play play play- pl...zzzzzzz

Purred: Mon Sep 2, '13 2:43pm PST 
I'm not looking for advice, I just wanted a safe place to vent about what happened this week.

A week ago today, I adopted a big black four year old cat named Freddie as a companion for myself and for Kyubey, who suffers from separation anxiety. I set Freddie up in our spare room and started getting to know him.

Within a day, it was evident that Freddie drinks and pees WAY more than a normal cat, so I brought him to the vet for bloodwork and a urinalysis. Since he's only four (and I do know that for certain, as his foster mom has had him since kittenhood) I was not expecting much to show up, so I wasn't too worried. I was wrong.

Freddie only has about 25% kidney function left. Given his age, this is probably genetic and could not have been prevented. He needs to start on prescription food, fluids, pepcid, enalapril, renacare gel, and an iron supplement as he is quite anemic.

I agonized over the decision all day yesterday, and I have decided to return him to the rescue. He has been in one home his entire life (He had a hard time finding an adopter because he's black and he hates pet fairs) and he's been with me for less than a week. I think if I start making him take all sorts of pills and jabbing him with needles he is going to lose all trust in me. Plus, the rescue can cover the cost of his medications, which will add up quickly until he can get stabilized.

I picked up enough K/D food to keep him for a few days, and emailed his foster mom about returning him. On the plus side for the rescue, I did spend $300 on diagnostics so at least they have a very clear picture of what is happening to poor Freddie.

I am so crushed by the way this turned out. Freddie is a very sweet boy, but I would not have adopted him if I had known about his health.

Anyways, thank you for letting me vent here. My heart is breaking, and I'm glad I don't have to work today because I am a wreck.
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Mon Sep 2, '13 6:02pm PST 
So sorry to hear about your experience. frown This is so sad. I can't help but feel a little anger towards the rescue for adopting out an unhealthy cat without doing due diligence - they should have been aware of the cat's condition. (Had the cat not been in a vet's care since the rescue took him in?) You did the right thing, and I hope the rescue takes back the cat and gives proper care especially now since you've footed the cost for a proper diagnosis and even went as far as to buy the food.

Be at peace! hug
[notify]

Kyubey

Purred: Mon Sep 2, '13 9:37pm PST 
I don't blame the foster mom at all - Freddie was part of a small group of kitties, so there was no way to monitor his input and output, which is generally the only sign a renal failure cat shows until things are VERY BAD. He looks healthy, glossy, and beautiful.

I have his vet records, and he was just examined in January, but I totally understand why the rescue can't afford to run bloodwork on every young, seemingly healthy cat who passes through their care.

That said - When Freddie goes home I will be looking for another cat and you BET I'm going to have bloodwork done BEFORE I get attached this time. Hubby and I were talking about heading to the city shelter next weekend - They have posted a plea for people to come adopt black cats, since they have so many available...
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Tue Sep 3, '13 1:17pm PST 
It's Stella. If you weren't so far from us, we would take the kitty. We just lost our Delyte, a black male kitty with kidney failure, plus my person also raised another cat with chronic kidney disease who lived to be 13. 25% doesn't sound like much function, but my male person is living well on it--he had kidney failure and used to be on dialysis but 25% is enough for him to get off. For a kitty who lives quietly indoors, has special food and lots of fluids, this would not be the end of his life, if he could find someone who wanted him. We are black kitty deficient for the first time in 30 years and missing him! cry
[notify]

Snow

Purred: Wed Sep 4, '13 12:02pm PST 
Guys.. I am sorry to be posting here... I just came back from the vet as per him my cat may only live for a couple of weeks maximum.. my cat has a swollen tummy with water filled inside, vet said he has caught some disease which is incurable, bronchnitis or something similar to that.. I was in total shock and couldn't understand the name he was an arabic dr. Too... I need some advice...

Edited by author Thu Sep 5, '13 1:42pm PST

[notify]

Snow

Purred: Wed Sep 4, '13 12:07pm PST 
His breathing is abnormal appetite almost none, bad breath, very lethargic.. 4 n half months old only...
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Sep 4, '13 3:47pm PST 
Snow - you need to maybe see another vet to get some clear answers on this. Your kitty sounds sick, but maybe it is something that CAN be treated. You need to be able to understand what is going on, and the vet should take the time to speak with you. Another opinion may be what you need to do.
[notify]

Mietzi Katze

I'm a wild thing

Purred: Wed Sep 4, '13 8:19pm PST 
You can maybe call that vet office where you went and tell them that you didn't expect such bad news about your cat and you didn't catch the name of the disease. Could they please explain again. One of the vet's assistants can prob. look up Snow's records and tell you.
I agree that you might also want to go to another vet for a second opinion. But I would call the first one to find out what they think it is. I am so sorry that your young cat is doing so poorly. We'll purr and pray for him.
[notify]

Kyubey

Purred: Wed Sep 4, '13 8:26pm PST 
Please start your own thread, this one is about my cat.
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Thu Sep 5, '13 9:53am PST 
Hi...Jan here....this is to Freddie's carer specifically, but it is also something I have been wanting to tell myself (if that makes sense). Perhaps you have not given Freddie back yet? Here's a thought, or a few thoughts (and some Catster people may jump on me from a great height for this...!! But here we go.....)

Freddie's carer....Freddie is going to die....COULD YOU NOT KEEP HIM AND MAKE HIM HAPPY FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS? MONTHS? AND GIVE HIM PALLIATIVE CARE? JUST WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD......Kidney failure is NOT painful. I asked my human doctor about this, for I have had two of my cats die of kidney failure....

There are quite a few issues here to be unpicked:

(1) Should any creature...(ie people, cats, dogs, horses, gerbils...whatever)....be kept going for as long as possible (in spite of the fact that their lives might be made what? 'orrible? by the treatments?)

(2) Would it be better for you to send Freddie back...? to what? Whereas you could keep him and love him for perhaps a short time...but a LOVING TIME....

(3) When my cats, Lucy and Mambo, each became ill with renal failure I took them to my trusted Vet and each time he said to me: 'She (either/both of them) has about a month to live'....and we did not even discuss: 'Oh you could do this or that and keep her going for another week...another month'..... Oh, pplleeaassee...Noooooooooo...!! For me, the important thing was the love.....and with both cats I spent(and hope they spent) a wonderful month....and then their time came - they knew it, I knew it - and we were at peace.....

(4) This bit is bad and difficult....but it has to be said.....some people ARE POOR.....BUT they WILL CERTAINLY LOVE THEIR CATS as much as anyone rich does....BUT THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO AFFORD FANCY TREATMENT....for example, now that I and my husband are old and poor and living on benefits (which we never thought would happen) I have had to miss (for the first time ever) Miss Lillie's and Colin's yearly overhaul and vaccinations.....(don't worry, they don't have to have the rabies vaccination here).......

It may well be that their lives will be shortened because I can NOT NOW do for them what I COULD DO when I had money.....But the love is no less....and the pain and sorrow is more.....

BUT, back to Freddie's loving carer.....a short, happy, well-loved life seems more important to me than a (possibly)long(er), painful one......

No more now.....just that that is what I am hoping for, for myself (I take a buckload of pillies every day)....a short(ish) life, but a loving one.....

Jan xxxx
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2