GO!

Cat Collars with ID! Should my cat have one? Can I make one?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Jazz

Purred: Fri Aug 30, '13 6:23pm PST 
I plan on getting a collar for my cat too (she has access to an outdoor enclosure), but hesitate between breakaway or not. My cat had a breakaway in the past when she was a kitten and she learned how to get it off by herself. What's the point of having an ID tag if the collar can pop right off?
[notify]

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Fri Aug 30, '13 10:31pm PST 
I really, very strongly recommend against any collar for a cat that is not a breakaway. The risk of them jumping and it getting caught is just too high in my mind. I view the collar as sort of the first line of defense: it makes it readily apparent that this cat is owned by someone should the cat get caught in a trap, wander to someone else's door, or, goodness forbid, be found on the side of a road. If your cat does get out, would you rather it lose the collar or hang itself on something? If the cat is out and actually lost, it will probably be doing a lot of jumping, hiding, and possibly running from various threats. For the best defense, put a microchip in and keep that information up to date. Then at least if animal control does pick them up you will be contacted, with or without a collar.
[notify]

Jazz

Purred: Fri Aug 30, '13 11:08pm PST 
My cat has a microchip, but I would like it to have a collar. Despite what the public thinks, many shelters don't check for them or at the very least not for all 4 types. I'm not suggesting I want my cat to hang itself, obviously. I'd just like a suggestion to what other types of collars there are. Like I said, my ID tag will be useless on a breakaway collar because my cat takes it off right when I put the collar on. I want her to be safe, but I need it to also work.
[notify]

Midas

Purred: Mon Sep 2, '13 4:12am PST 
Of course I don't think you want any cat to hang itself, but since this is a public forum and others might end up reading this, I want to make it VERY clear the risks of a non-breakaway collar.

As for not scanning for every type of microchip or at all, while I know that might be true, if my cat was missing, I would be calling every shelter within a 200 mile radius with a description of my cat anyways, the microchip might actually be more for my peace of mind that I was getting the right cat back. Midas might seem pretty unique to me right now, but in a shelter situation, after looking at potentially dozens of other cats with similar colors, things might start to get confusing.

One thing that you might want to consider doing would be to get a non-breakaway one to train your cat to accept the collar, and then switch to the breakaway one at a later time once wearing it is just a normal part of your cat's life. There is a short term risk, but you eliminate the long term one.
[notify]

Tillie

A little cat- with a lot to- learn

Purred: Tue Sep 3, '13 7:30pm PST 
Got my boomerang tag and custom ike and Stella collar in the mail today! to say I love them is an understatement! look at my profile to see the new pics of the collar. thanks everyone for the advice!
[notify]

Midas

Purred: Wed Sep 4, '13 12:36pm PST 
Look how pretty that is! What is the material the collar is made out of? It looks nice and soft!
[notify]

Tillie

Purred: Sat Sep 7, '13 6:59pm PST 
Thanks Midas! I absolutely love it! It is extremely soft and I imagine comfortable. It is made from wool felt. I love the color combo we went with as well! And I know the breakaway buckle works because Tillie got it caught on the dishwasher rack while loading dishes the other day and it popped off when she jumped back. Love it! Thanks for the compliment. It suits her well!
[notify]

Tillie

Purred: Sat Sep 7, '13 7:02pm PST 
Oh, and the colors I picked are heather brown for the material and a soft pink thread. The buckle is clear. Everything was made per my request!
[notify]

Draco

Wait 'til my- father hears- about this!

Purred: Wed Sep 11, '13 2:23pm PST 
My cats are indoor kitties (with the exception of supervised outings). I started my cats with collars (with the phone number and name printed on them), and no tags. Once they got used to the collar, I added the tags. They both have a name tag, with their name on the front, my last name, and phone number on the back. They're also micro-chipped and I used the tag that I got that says, "I'm lost. I am micro-chipped. Please call ... " And they have their most recent rabies tags on their collars.
I once had a kitty come up to my yard, and he had a collar with a tag that had his name, address, phone number, and "outside kitty". While I may not agree with him being an outside kitty, I thought it was smart that they included that on his tag. I still texted the owner to see if he had wandered too far from home.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2