GO!

Cat Collars with ID! Should my cat have one? Can I make one?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tillie

A little cat- with a lot to- learn

Purred: Wed Aug 28, '13 5:18am PST 
I am wondering, first of all, if a cat collar is a good idea. Tillie is microchipped, but I was wondering if an id tag on a collar is still a good idea?

Also, does anyone here have any recommendations on a brand of collar. I have stumbled upon a few unique ones on Etsy called Ike and Stella, and Mimi Green. Both unique and hand made.

I am also crafty and am wondering if anyone has experience MAKING their own cat collars, and if so where you got the supplies and how you did it.

Thanks so much!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Aug 28, '13 9:08am PST 
Yes, ALL cats should wear a collar even if they are microchipped smile A safety /breakaway collar is best since the collar will either break apart at the bucket or stretch so the cat can escape from a situation, like caught on a branch outside.

A collar should have an ID tag as well, plus a current rabies tag. If your cat is ever lost, a collar with an ID tag makes it easy to tell that the cat is owned by someone and who to call. Even a rabies tag has a number on it and the name of the vet hospital that gave that particular tag number so a pet can be traced back to the owner that way. Some people who see a collarless cat may just keep the cat and not bother to have it checked for a microchip shrug

I'm not sure how pet collars can be made thinking You'll need a sturdy fabric or webbing or some sort, a buckle, and probably a sewing machine that can handle thick fabrics and thread.

And make sure that the microchip is registered with the company that makes it. Many people get their pets microchipped but don't bother to actually register it with all of their contact informatiom shrug Putting the microchip in is a good idea but provides no information about the pet or owner shrug Only after the microchip is registered with contact info that a shelter or vet can get the info on a lost pet. I think most microchip companies have one time registration fee thinking Yearly memberships may be offered at some cost but are optional. Home Again's basic service is free but the yearly membership with added features is like $20.
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Wed Aug 28, '13 9:53am PST 
Dear Tillie's Meouwmy......I had just gone away to make a cup of tea and when I came back Merlin had told you everything you need to know about collars...!!

However, I have got something to add.....my cat, Tambolina, has run away.....(some of my family had to come and live with us and they brought two dear little dogs, so Tambolina's life has been totally disrupted)....she has a collar on (one of the self-opening ones - really safe) with an identity tag on it, so if anyone finds her....have to say it - either alive or dead....they will be able to contact me....

So, yes....get Tillie a collar.....

Jan
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Wed Aug 28, '13 6:39pm PST 
It's Stella. Yes, get an id tag and breakaway collar. There are at least 4 major microchip companies in the US and they do not read or recognize the other's chip. If you are really worried, you can get an ear tattoo so that even if the cat loses the collar, they show proof of ownership.

In our area, the Wal-Mart has a machine that makes ID tags.

Purrs!
[notify]

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Thu Aug 29, '13 2:33am PST 
I just found this great site that has information on making collars, and they even have breakaway ones for cats! I am not sure if I am allowed to post links to other sites, but here it is anyways: http://www.cdwplus.com/kitCATpage.html

Please, please, please only use a breakaway buckle for a cat collar. As for what you can make it out of, I personally love to use hemp because it is soft and natural, but you would not only have to sew it from hemp cloth (no hemp webbing comes in a small enough size for a cat collar), you would also have to dye it. Half the fun in my mind, but kind of messy too!

As for the ID, you could actually completely leave the belle and D ring off a collar you make and get an ID tag from a company called Boomerang. If you make the collar from scratch you could get the one that slides on and is permanent (unless you take the collar apart), otherwise, the other style would work. http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=G&ID=5
I really recommend their tags. They might seem kind of pricey, but they don't get scratched up or wear poorly like the ones at local stores. Plus, a tag that doesn't dangle won't bug the cat at all!

Also, so far as the microchip goes, if you know the number you can register it with: https://microchipregistry.foundanimals.org/
To look up who the number is registered with, please check:
http://www.petmicrochiplookup.org/

Remove all spaces from links if they don't work!

Edited by author Thu Aug 29, '13 2:37am PST

[notify]

Tillie

Purred: Thu Aug 29, '13 7:02am PST 
Thank you for the tag and collar recommendations! Can I ask what info you put on your pets tags? I was thinking of putting this on Tillie's:

My Name
My Phone #
My City, State
Microchipped

Is it pointless to put the words microchipped do you think? I am just trying to think of something that might deter someone from keeping her. Also thought about putting "special needs" even though she is not. I also like the idea of putting something like "if i'm outside, i'm lost" or "indoor cat only" so someone would know she is truly lost. Am I overthinking this?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Aug 29, '13 9:07am PST 
The two basic must have info on an ID tag is cat's name and a working phone number. If you don't want to put your personal or work phone number on the tag, use the phone number for the vet.

Some ID tags can have up to 5 lines of text on it. Some even have an option to engrave text on the back of the tag. Human buys ID tags from GoTags.com

It's not a bad idea to put the microchip ID number on the tag. Emma has it on the back of her tag. The front include a line that says "More info on back".

You don't need to put a city or state on the tag unless you live practically on the state border.

Cats with medical conditions should have a separate ID tag that lists their medical condition and the phone number of the vet. I had a hard to miss bright red one that said "Diabetic - Needs Insulin Daily" and then the phone number of the vet.
[notify]

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Thu Aug 29, '13 11:57am PST 
I think it can really depend on the cat too. Like, if Midas got out, someone might be able to pick him up, but I know some cats wouldn't let anyone near them. Same for my dog Ember. If she gets out, I really don't see her going around anyone. She is very feral, and despite a lot of progress, I fear she would completely revert and not let anyone near her. Though that being said, I personally ended up catching a stray dog that had very similar tenancies, so it is possible! For my tags, I typically have:
Front: Name
Back: Two phone numbers WITH area code. Sometimes I also put REWARD, but you have to be willing to follow through with that I suppose.

That's it. The point of the microchip, in my mind, is as a back-up if the collar gets lost, and mostly if they are picked up by animal control. The microchip links to the same phone numbers that would be on the tag, and I want those phone numbers to be as large and as easy to read as possible. I also try to get the smallest tag possible for the pet's comfort, and having dogs that are smaller than most cats means that two phone numbers is typically all I can fit.

I have the name on the front, and I sew the D ring to the rest of the collar so that only the name is visible at all times (but you can see the numbers if you twist the tag). It means that when I take pictures I don't have to worry about blurring out any phone numbers if I post them online.

I always figured that if one if my animals did go missing I would plaster the surround area with as many posters as I possibly could. Hence a good reason to make sure you have a good, clear picture of all pets!
[notify]

Tillie

Purred: Thu Aug 29, '13 12:16pm PST 
my cats name is embroidered on the collar so I don't need it on the tag. I think I'm going to stick with my name and phone number.
[notify]

Tillie

Purred: Fri Aug 30, '13 6:51am PST 
Ok, so I made a decision on the collar thing. I ended up buying a custom collar from Ike and Stella and I ordered a boomerang tag with this

I AM LOVED BY
THE OURFAMILYNAME
HELP ME HOME!

I want to give a plug for Ike and Stella. She made me a custom collar and shipped it out the same day! Literally within hours of my order. So if you want something fun for you kitty, check out her shop on etsy!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2