GO!

My cat is starving

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Tue Aug 20, '13 7:10pm PST 
Hey, I've seen some similar threads, but I'd still like to get your opinion on my cat situation.

My roomate got a cat a few months ago. I'm not sure about his situation before, but it must have been pretty terrible... We couldn't approach him without him running away for at least 2 months. Now it's getting better and we can pet him.

He's getting really skinny and barely eats.
But he's clearly very hungry as he meows like crazy every time I go in the kitchen, following me around etc. His plate is full though! (dry and canned).

He will barely ever eat from his plate on his own.
When I feed him with a spoon though, he eats a little bit. But it's very strange: he grabs a bite, and then runs away, eat it on the floor, and comes back for another.
After a few bites, he sometimes makes a really weird, loud, hoarse noise, like if he was really in pain, and runs away.

Do you think he has a disease or does he associates eating with pain, or...?

Thanks a lot!
[notify]

Baby

i am a cutie- kitty

Purred: Tue Aug 20, '13 7:39pm PST 
time to get kitty to the vet for a check-up and full blood work. see if anything medical is going on. then go from there. need to get kitty to vet ASAP.

purrs
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Tue Aug 20, '13 7:42pm PST 
This is Stella. Take this cat to the vet IMMEDIATELY!! He probably has a very bad tooth problem that has gotten infected and eating causes pain. He could also have a broken bone in his jaw or palate from a fall or abuse. Cats often bang their jaw when they take a bad fall from a height. The cat clearly wants to eat and cannot. This needs to be diagnosed and he needs to be put on some kind of nutrition that bypasses the problem.

Even if money is a problem, do not let this poor cat suffer any more. Get him treated and then deal with finances. This is a living being who is suffering. We send all our purrs and hugs to you to help with healing ... hug
[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

I know you have- chicken & I want- it.

Purred: Tue Aug 20, '13 7:43pm PST 
Any time a cat won't eat for long enough to get skinny it is time to see a vet. Fatty liver disease can take over pretty quickly in a cat that is not eating enough. It could be something pretty simple like a bad tooth, but could be something that will be life threatening if not attended to. Please keep us all updated, my gang is sending lots of healing purrs.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Aug 20, '13 8:23pm PST 
I'll try to convince my roomate to do so, and maybe I'll do it myself otherwise. Vets are so expensive in the US compared to france frown

The thing is, why would he eat from the spoon and not his plate?
He also has other strange behaviors:
He's on the table. I open a can, he rushes to me, starts licking/eating the food. Then, if I put it on the ground, he will get to the edge of the table, meow a lot while looking down at the can, but wont come down to eat it!

All this makes me think that it's a psychological issue rather than a physical one...

Edited by author Tue Aug 20, '13 8:25pm PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Aug 21, '13 5:21am PST 
You have to eliminate all the possible physical issues before you look at psychological ones. Get the cat to a vet ASAP!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Aug 21, '13 9:13am PST 
Yes, some vets are expensive but there are many low-cost clinics out there. Here is a web site with more info on how to afford vet care: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

Your cat needs immediate vet treatment, whether the issue is medical or psychological or something. Not eating enough calories per day can lead to a serious health condition called fatty liver disease.

Where did the roommate get the cat from? It sounds like the cat never had much socializing with people or being a house cat thinking
[notify]

Cali

The Most- Beautiful Girl- In The World

Purred: Thu Aug 22, '13 3:30pm PST 
You know this just breaks my heart. This kitty isnt going to make it and I doubt we will hear from this poster again.
Time and again I read the same ole' song and dance: "cat is very ill but can't (or won't) take it to the vet".....
You can bet if it was a canine they would find a way. I guess i am just sick and tired of the way cats are treated in our society.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Aug 22, '13 8:16pm PST 
I'll talk to my roomate tomorrow and offer to pay half, that'll probably do it.
[notify]

Purred: Mon Aug 26, '13 8:31pm PST 
My roomate took it to the vet today smile

Dont have the details, but they gave him some buprenorphine for the pain, and he's going to feed him kitten food. Hope he's going to get better.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2