GO!

Problems with constant licking fur from belly, etc...

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

'rissa

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 4:13pm PST 
I'm new here and would like to ask if anyone has any thoughts on an issue I'm having with my 'rissa. A year ago, when we moved from an apartment to our new condo, she quit eating and was eventually diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease. About the same time, the vet noticed that she had licked all the fur off her belly. He gave her transdermal prednisolone (after attempts to pill her didn't work) and the licking problem eventually resolved. It took a long time to get her eating regularly and to gain weight, but she finally got back to her "normal" self again.

About ?2 months ago, she started again. She is constantly licking and her eating patterns are irregular, although she hasn't completely stopped yet. We are seeing a different vet in the office, and she does not want to give 'rissa the steroids, because of potential side effects. We've tried giving her liq Benadryl, and she has suggested expensive allergy testing next, with possible shots every other day for several weeks.

I'm very frustrated. When this initially happened, the first vet said that the allergy testing was unnecessary, because the licking was a likely part of the IBD and the steroids would help. I really can't afford all the extra testing and don't want to put her through the additional stress of 3x weekly vet visits.

I don't know what to do.
[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

I know you have- chicken & I want- it.

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 6:24pm PST 
Excessive licking can also be stress. Kitties stress out for a lot of different reasons, has anything changed in your home recently? She may also have a bit of a tummy ache, have you tried giving one fourth of a REGULAR strength pepcid ac? You might try also giving lots of small meals during the day if your schedule permits, that can also lessen tummy upsets. Here is a top site for IBD info.
IBD Kitties website
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 7:51pm PST 
It's the season for grass pollens that can come in on your person even if you purrrsonally never go outside; have the human try giving you 1/4 of a generic Zyrtec daily for a week, then every other day. If you don't do better, the problem is likely something else, but If you do better, try it once every 3 days and if that is still working stay on that dose till fall, then give it a break over the winter, start back when Spring comes again if you get itchy then.
If it works when you take it daily but you get itchy on every other day, stay on daily, if every other day works but you get itchy on every 3 days, stay on every other day.
Pollen is the second most common cause of summer itchies,(first being fleas--y but the humans usually want to complicate things and try to blame it on food, other disease, etc.
If you aren't on flea protection, get it even if you are 100% indoor. If you have a flea allergy, one flea getting in and staying on all day can bite as many as 5 times an hour, a bad thing if you are allergic.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 4:51am PST 
It could be allergies but it would be best to see a dermatologist to diagnose them, although it can get expensive. Our dermatologist doesn't believe in the allergy testing, but I know some people swear by it.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 5:33am PST 
*Before* you give your pet any over the counter Human medicine, like the Zyrtec suggested above, check with your vet. Some Human medicines can be harmful to pets. Some can be given to pets but only in a very small dosage.

A dermatologist vet may be helfpl in determining what is wrong. Your regular vet can also consult with other vets through VIN.com, a vet only web site with a message board and lots of veterinary articles.
[notify]

'rissa

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 7:20am PST 
Thanks.
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 6:05pm PST 
The quarter of a Zyrtec is what our vet suggests ...the treatment above is what our vet advises for animals with allergies that may be seasonal or the person can't afford testing. You are correct, MANY human or meds for other animals are harmful to cats, but somecats here do the Zytec in summer due to plant allergies; we don't go outside, but the pollen works its way in and Wook and B.T lick holes in themselves if they are not treated.
[notify]

BooBoo Jr.

goofus ball

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 6:09pm PST 
Also, 'Rissa, if you Google "Zyrtec for cats' and you will see a whole lot of veterinary hospitals pop up suggesting this treatment and the 1/4 pill once a day for cats, it's not something our human thought up anddid without professional advice !
[notify]