GO!

My kitten has worms!!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Ming

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 9:57pm PST 
Just dewormed my kitten Ming last night. Thought everything was ok. Just noticed another little wormy coming out of her butt! Didn't give her a full dose the first time. Is it ok to try it again tonight?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 5:16am PST 
When I got a dewormer from my vet for a foster it was two doses two weeks apart. I hope you're not using an over-the-counter dewormer - they can be very dangerous, especially to a kitten that size.

The idea of two doses is that the first dose kills the worms but not the eggs. You have to wait until the last eggs hatch and give the second dose to kill them.

So no, I don't think you should give another dose so soon. If the dewomer isn't from your vet, please ask your vet what you should do next.
[notify]

Bowski

Purred: Tue Jul 9, '13 5:45am PST 
I would at least call the vet this time to ask. Over-the-counter dewormers have gotten a bad reputation for being less effective and easy to misuse. I hope kitten feels better soon!
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 5:26am PST 
Don't worry, worms are usually a pretty easy fix, and all kittens usually have worms. Just make sure you get the right worm medicine for your kitten. I know those low cost vaccine clinics that go around to many pet stores, most of them do de worming, and will probably give you a second dose as well to do in two weeks. You do need to make sure you are getting the right medicine, and yes, most of those over the counter ones are ineffective or dangerous. Take no chances with a small kitten when it comes to medication. Also, if they are tapeworms and you have not treated the kitty for fleas, you will need to get rid of the fleas or those worms will come right back. They get tapeworms from eating fleas. Don't panic....this is all fixable! smile
[notify]

Trek

Monster of- Mayhem

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 6:39am PST 
I echo what everyone else has said. First, your kitten is in no way abnormal. Kittens get worms and kittens pass worms. If you haven't been to the vet to have a fecal done, I would recommend that. Different dewormers work better on different types of worms, and only an examination of a fecal sample can tell you which types of worms you're dealing with. Second, don't overdose your kitten on dewormer. Again, if you're not sure of the dosage, ask your vet what the best course of treatment is. Third, if your kitten has tapeworms, they require a completely different treatment than all other worms. And while you do need to make sure the kitten doesn't have fleas, if the kitten is too young (typically younger than 3 months) DO NOT use flea and tick preventative on it! Give the kitten a bath in Dawn diswashing detergent. Dawn paralyzes fleas and makes it easier to comb them out. Before you get the kitten all nice and wet and unhappy, put a ring of Dawn around its neck so that the fleas can't all escape to its head when you douse it with water. Once the kitten is all clean and rinsed off, brush the kitten out with a flea comb to get rid of all of the fleas in its coat.
[notify]

Ming

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 10:25am PST 
Thank you to everyone!! Ming has a vet visit this week. She is sooo sweet and fun we are in love with her!!! Thanks again.
[notify]