GO!

playing with laser pointers

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 3:38pm PST 
Really, I have no problem with using laser pointers properly when getting a cat to play with them.

It's the way my brother is doing it--leaving it on the floor and letting the cat play with the pointer itself.
I'm afraid Oreo will end up shining it in his face by accident, or chew it up, or break it.
Maybe he isn't strong enough to break it now, but when he's an adult, he could. He could break it and possibly hurt himself in the process. Why get him into a bad habit just because it's cute?

I tell my brother this, and the frickin' idiot won't listen to reason. He argues that he can do what he wants with his laser pointer. He just refuses to stop. He's at that age where he thinks he knows it all. -_-

Edited by author Mon Jul 1, '13 3:39pm PST

[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 2:30pm PST 
The problem is mostly if it shines in your cat's eyes. It can cause damage. I wouldn't worry so much about kitty chewing it as if the batteries can fall out & get ingested. The thing with lasers is that the cat never really "catches" the prey & they can get frustrated or lose interest. When I use one, I always try to shine it on a stuffed toy that they can then grab & bunny kick so it feels like they "caught" it. Please remember, it is your cat, and it is a health matter - you have every right to want the best for him. You could always just take it away until the "human" learns to play nice. laugh out loud
[notify]