GO!

Dental health supplements?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Blaze- (Striped- Seven)

TICA MS. (HHP- Champion)

Purred: Sat Jun 29, '13 7:18pm PST 
Does anyone know of any good supplements or home treatments that might help with plaque and improving dental health for cats?
All four of mine are littermates and they seem to be prone to immune issues (allergies, EGC, etc...) My vet thinks two of them have resorptive lesions although if so it is very very early stages because I can't see any sign of it.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 5:49am PST 
Regular teeth brushing way to goway to go It's the only way any teeth, Human or animal, can be scrubbed clean of plaque and bacteria.

In the wild, cats gnaw on bones and fibrous raw meats and organs. Some people replicate this at home by giving their cats small chunks of raw meat and organs (poultry gizzards etc) and chicken neck or wing bones. I don't know if it really works or not to keep teeth clean and healthy. Not all cats will gnaw on raw meat and stuff, especially those who have eaten nothing but commerical dry food their entire lives.

To brush the teeth, use only pet toothpaste and a pet toothbrush or pet finger brush or even a piece of gauze. Here's a video of how to brush a cat's teeth: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/video/Teeth.htm Some cats take to teethbrushing right away but many others do not so you have to slowly get them used to the process.

Brushing every day is ideal but some cats won't tolerate that. A few times a week is good if that's all you can do.

Most dental treats like Greenies don't work so I wouldn't bother with those. One dental treat to try is CET. These treats are pretty large so a cat has to work on gnawing at it. CET also has other dental products, like the toothpaste which is good to use.

Dental liquids that are put in the water bowl don't work because cats just don't drink enough water from a bowl for the liquid to have any effect. A cat is designed to get water directly from the food (canned or raw food). Dry foods have salt added which is supposed to encourage a cat to unnaturally drink water from a bowl but really just leave a cat in a state of constant dehydration.

Supplements don't work so don't bother with them. A supplement that ends up in the tummy doesn't have any effect on the teeth even after digestion shrug
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 12:18pm PST 
They have smaller CET treats. I got them for Smitty since he had tooth resorption, but he doesn't like them. The only one that will eat them is Felix. I use PetKiss in the water. t is not very expensive, and I figure even a little may help. I use tooth wipes. It is a little easier for me with 4 of them than using a brush.
[notify]

Blaze- (Striped- Seven)

TICA MS. (HHP- Champion)

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 7:24pm PST 
I'm not sure if they would eat the treats, my cats are really picky and usually refuse any treats or anything besides their food. Also they have allergies so I have to watch the ingredients.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 9:17am PST 
The ingredients in the reglar CET treats contain fish. Are you allergic to that? thinking Freeze-dried fish, antioxidants (containing tocopherols, ascorbic acid, natural flavor and citric acid), glucose oxidase (Aspergillus niger), dried whey protein concentrate.

The premium CET treats don't have any fish or meat in it: Chlorhexidine Gluconate, Rice Bran, Sorbitol, Dextrose, Corn Starch, Purified Water, Sorbic Acid, Cheese Powder, Super 7 Cat Flavoring, Calcium Propionate.

Maybe you can try teeth brushing. The CET toothpastes are good. There are non-meat/fish flavors if you worry about allergies. There are other brands of pet toothpastes you can buy at the pet store.

Simply rubbing the teeth with a piece of gauze or pet toothbrush without any toothpaste can still help remove food particles and plaque.
[notify]

Blaze- (Striped- Seven)

TICA MS. (HHP- Champion)

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 12:04pm PST 
I'm not sure about the fish, my vet said to stay away from it because it's a common thing for an allergy so I made sure to switch to a food without fish, but I sometimes use a tuna canned food (not regularly but once in a while) and have not seen any issues. I am staying away from grains though.

I was brushing Blaze's teeth, but it was so difficult because the finger toothbrush is big for his mouth and he hated the taste of the gel I was using, so I couldn't get him to accept it half the time. I might try it with gauze instead and see if it helps.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 4:58pm PST 
Human got the newest Drs Foster and Smith catalog today. They have little dental sponges on little sticks that you can try smile http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+1956+14657&pcatid=14657 They also have pads that you can rub on the teeth.

CET makes a mini cat toothbrush that fits in most cats' mouths way to go http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/c.e.t.-oral-hygiene-kit-for-cats/dental-health/c.e.t.-pet-oral-hygiene-kits It only comes as part of a kit shrug
[notify]

Cali

The Most- Beautiful Girl- In The World

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 4:24pm PST 
Mommy gives me one of those large CET dental treats every other day or so, i have to watch my calories - or so my lousy vet says - and each one has 16 calories. Sometimes I eat it, sometimes I dont.
Oh and the tooth brushing is out in my case. If my mommy even tries to touch my mouth i will snap her finger off like a crocodile. She knows better cos she tried it laugh out loud You should've seen what i did to her when she touched my toes.......
[notify]