GO!

Cat gets sick around new diffuser

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Groucho

Tell me again- how cute I am...

Purred: Fri May 17, '13 3:56am PST 
I had a Feliway diffuser for when my mom's cat stays with me when she is out of town. I noticed my one cat would get sick near it every time I put in a refill. I did not think much of it then, I thought it was a fluke or later the stress of my mom's cat being here and it was a coincidence that it was near the diffuser since it is plugged it by the cat tree he loves. Now I have the ConfortZone for dogs plugged in, same thing just with dog pheromones. This morning, 12 hours after it was plugged in, the same cat got sick near the new diffuser. He did scarf down half a can of cat food before getting sick. Last time this last less then a week and then he was fine. Is it possible he is somehow allergic or has a reaction to the pheromones? I tried doing a google search but could not find anything like this happening.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Fri May 17, '13 8:39am PST 
Anything is possible. I wouldn't use that one again.
[notify]

Groucho

Purred: Fri May 17, '13 11:39am PST 
He is fine after a couple days and even during that couple days he acts fine. I just wondered if anyone else had this problem or had heard of anything like this.

I bought the ComfortZone for dogs because my pug has developed a fascination of chasing this cat. Parker will run from her, giving her something to chase whereas Groucho just falls over when being chased, so he is no fun for her. I am hoping to only need it for a month or so while I retrain the dog that we do not chase kitties. After next week, I will be home more to work on the retraining and then two weeks after that I am off for two months to really work on the retraining. Basically, I am working on teaching the dog to ignore the cats.
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Sat May 18, '13 6:52am PST 
I once sprayed the feliway in the spray form, and my big fat maine coon kitty started to have a sort of asthma attack. It freaked me out. He had never done that before. I do notice when I spray it in the room when he is not in it, and then he goes in it, he's ok, but if I spray it around him, that's when the breathing thing happened. I really have not used it much since that happened though, because it did freak me out. I think feliway is a good product, but I guess it's possible that something in it maybe does not react well with certain cats? I don 't know.
[notify]

Groucho

Purred: Sat May 18, '13 9:39am PST 
I am starting to think that I just takes him a few days to get used to the pheromones being in the air. He seems fine today and I thinks long as I don't let it run out before replacing it we will be OK. It seems to be helping with keeping the dog calm and keeps her from wanting to chase the cats. That and getting her to focus on me when the cats walk in the room, instead of watching them, seems to be working.
[notify]