GO!

Not Eating...

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Sushi

Purred: Sat May 11, '13 3:01am PST 
So with all Sushi's health problems, we have another one to add, he's not eating enough. My vet recommend something which I can't recall the name of (It was bio-something made by nutra-something or other) To increase his immune system. But I've yet to be able to find out where I can get it...

Anyway, I need to know of some ways to get him to eat more, and ways to fatten him up since he is very underweight. At our old house he was a fat cat, but now he's not eating much and has lost a lot of weight. Right now we are free feeding him Natures Variety dog food (Accidently bought the dog instead of the cat, though we're getting the right bag next time) and Innova canned food though he's just not eating much other than the Greenies treats he gets once in a while.

He's still eating a bit, not at the level were we need to rush to hand feed him or anything, but he's not eating enough. The vets can't figure out what's wrong nor can we. Though the best place I've been told to start is with getting him to eat, though we've tried everything and nothing's working. Meanwhile he is slowly losing more and more weight (I think he's about 7 lbs, and he's got a large build)

What should I try to get him to eat? Should I just hand feed, even though he's still eating, just not enough? Maybe I should hand feed some extra supplements that might help him? If so, what?

(Thought I'd note, we've already gotten opinions from three vets, all three said they don't know what's wrong.)
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat May 11, '13 5:58am PST 
Obviously you need to get to the bottom of what's causing the weight loss, but meanwhile try to feed as much wet food as you can, even if you have to hand feed. Have you tried Forti Flora? It's a probiotic powder that you can sprinkle on food and it's almost irresistible to cats. How about bonito flakes? If your cat likes fish those will help. Try some water from a can of tuna also. Some cats even like a little grated cheese on their food.
Hope this helps!
[notify]

Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Sat May 11, '13 7:01am PST 
Warm up wet food to release more smell. Try some baby food (make sure it doesn't have any garlic or onions in it--Beechnut and Gerber are both safe). It has more odor than cat food.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat May 11, '13 11:19am PST 
what really bothers me here is that three vets don't see a problem with his not eating and the weight loss. This is extremely serious as he can develop hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) very easily. I'd call the vet and ask for an appetite stimulant to get him eating and in a hurry. Also, like BK said, the fact that they haven't ordered tests to see what's going on (or have they?) is bothersome. Kitties don't lose weight like this for no reason. Something is going on! I'd call the vet and demand something be done. He could need medication but I would start with blood work (if they haven't already done it), and most of all, an appetite stimulant to get him eating.
[notify]

Sushi

Purred: Sat May 11, '13 2:07pm PST 
We've ordered almost every test in the book, even the highly expensive ones that we really don't have the money for. Nothing came back with results that would lead to a diagnoses. thinking Only things that made us more confused as to what it could be, like the fact that his blood tests were all over the place, most everything was way too low. The things that weren't too low were too high, I don't even know if he had one "Normal" level on the test. shrug

Odd thing is he's still acting like him self, even though these blood tests and loss of weigh suggest something serious is going on.

Here's the latest picture I have of him:

Edit: Picture link doesn't work, I'll upload it to his profile in just a second...

You can tell by his hips that he's defiantly skinny. Though this picture was taken on one of the weekly walks we go on outside with me, my dog, and him, which he still enjoys just the same with no change in personality or loss of energy. Though you can see how large of a cat he is compared to Bella who is a 18 pound Pug/Shih Tzu mix, 7 pound is defiantly very skinny for him.

Edited by author Sat May 11, '13 2:12pm PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat May 11, '13 4:52pm PST 
Ask your vet to get suggestions and advice from other vets on VIN.com It's a vet-only web site with lots of articles, info, and a forum where vets can get help from other vets smile Maybe there's a vet out there who has seen something similar to your condition and can give advice.

High calorie foods may help get some weight on. There are high calorie supplements that you can buy in pet stores or you could feed a high calorie food. Iams Max Cal is one you could try. It's a prescription food so the ingredients aren't great but if it works to get some extra pounds on you then it's worth it.
[notify]

Sushi

Purred: Tue May 21, '13 1:52am PST 
Thanks for the help everyone! I asked about an appetite stimulant and he suggested b12 (I think that's what it was) So he'll now be getting a shot of that every month. He just got one today so in the next few days we'll know if it's going to work or not.

Hopefully my little Chew will get better soon!

Sadly he has FIV, and the vet's office doesn't understand what that is. They think it's some highly spreadable thing that's going to kill all the other cats. The one nurse who loves cats wouldn't even pet him, and he has to be put in the back room segregated from all the other animals (Because it's going to spread to them if they even breath the same air) silenced
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue May 21, '13 8:39am PST 
B12 is only going to do so much but it's not technically an appetite stimulant! Ugh this makes me mad. B12 is for malabsorption syndrome. Yes, it an increase appetite but not always. He needs a real appetite stimulant like cyproheptadine! what is wrong with this vet!!!!?? shrug
[notify]

Sushi

Purred: Tue May 21, '13 11:52am PST 
Sadly, he's one of the best vets around believe it or not. We have horrible vets in this area. Though I believe he may have that also, his last blood test came back low on almost everything, so that could be a problem.

Edited by author Tue May 21, '13 11:58am PST

[notify]