GO!

Not sure if this is the right place but: Cat Wheel questions!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Sat May 4, '13 9:56pm PST 
Midas has taken the transition from indoor/outdoor cat to indoor only cat fairly well. Once I move again in August to an actual house, I will be looking to make an outdoor enclosure/enclose the patio that still needs to be installed. Haha. Until that can be a reality, I am toying with the idea of making him a cat wheel. He will be 3 in June or so, so I am wondering if he is just too set in his ways and won't be able to learn how to use one, though he is pretty adaptable. I will be making one from scratch, but it still won't be a cheap endeavor. Has anyone successfully introduced an older* cat to a wheel? Or would I be better off just spending the money to make him another cat tree? He already has 5, 3 of which are sizable, and I am getting tired of finding spaces for them... But I want his indoor life to be fulfilling and I could definitely make one or two more kick-butt trees, especially one for the porch so he can drool at the local wildlife, or a wheel.

*older meaning not a kitten, not by any means an old cat!!!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun May 5, '13 5:25am PST 
A wheel? Like the kind hamsters and gerbils use in their cages/tanks for excercise? thinking A Google search does show large excercsie wheels for cats shrug I don't know how easy it would be to train a cat to use one shrug Personaly I think you're better off with another cat tree. Cats like to climb rather than plod in a wheel shrug
[notify]

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Sun May 5, '13 11:23am PST 
It seems like people that have them tend to have Bengals or other high energy cats. While Midas isn't any specifically known breed, he is definitely high energy. I have seen videos of older, regular domestic shorthair cats learning to use them, and they seem to enjoy being able to full out run. I guess I am looking to add variety to his life? I mean, he uses all of his current cat trees, so I am sure he would use another one, but I kind of want to try something new. I am just worried it is going to be a complete failure.
[notify]

Purred: Mon May 6, '13 5:33am PST 
If you look at the video on http://catexercisewheel.net/toygoround-cat-exercise-wheel-p-19.html it shows a Bengal running on one.

If you look closely, they are using a laser light which he is chasing. I think if you use a light or toys, you should be able to train him to use it, especially if he is high energy.
[notify]