GO!

Cat sneezing and making strange sounds

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Tommy

Crazy bear

Purred: Wed Apr 24, '13 11:33am PST 
Hello everyone, i haven't been on for a while! hectic year for me hehe

Anyway this is regarding my sweet boy tommy. Tommy has been sneezing here and there i hear him do it at least once a day and then he makes this strange sound .. hmm how do i explain, it sounds exactly as if something is stuck in my nose and im trying to dislodge it with a quick blow from my nose, that's exactly how it sounds and he's been doing that quite often like trying to blow his nose.
Last month i was sleeping and i woke up to what it sounded like snoring/choking i jumped out of bed to check on tommy who was also sleeping, he just looked at me confused.
We would take tommy to vet in a heartbeat problem is i don't have a job i'm studying to get into nursing and my hubby atm is finishing his BA and doing an internship so he barely has time to eat even. We can only take tommy in late may when my bb graduates. Other than that he still acts exactly the same, very playful sleeps normally. Does this sound like something very serious?

Edited by author Wed Apr 24, '13 11:35am PST

[notify]

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Wed Apr 24, '13 3:18pm PST 
The good news--there may be an answer that doesn't require a vet visit. The sneezing and snottiness may be a sign of herpes. If you go to Vet Depot or 1-800-Pet-Meds, you should be able to get Viralys which is a lysine gel. Give some to the cat twice a day and see if things get better. Viralys will run you around $20 once you pay for shipping.

The bad news--If the lysine doesn't work, you'll have to take him to the vet. It might be asthma or something else. Asthma, by the way, is not hard or particularly expensive to treat. Fear not.
[notify]

Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Thu Apr 25, '13 6:58am PST 
Hi Tommy's mom. It is possible that he is sneezing from seasonal allergies, especially if this just started within the past month or so. Two of my cats sneeze during tree pollen season every year. It could also be from feline herpes virus as the previous poster suggested.

I would suggest that you keep a close eye on him. If he starts eating less than usual, loses weight, starts hiding more than usual or in unusual places, or has thick mucus coming out of his nose you had better seek veterinary attention for him. If he remains relatively normal, then play it by ear and see if it fades away with the tree pollen.

Purrs,
BB's mom
[notify]

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Thu Apr 25, '13 9:12am PST 
Oh, speaking of allergies, my vet tells me that 1/4 of a Benadryl is okay for cats. The fun comes with cutting a Benadryl tablet in fourths....
[notify]

Tommy

Crazy bear

Purred: Tue Apr 30, '13 8:38pm PST 
thank you so much everyone for your input, he is still active and nothing in behavior changed so he believe you guys were right about allergies. Mine sure are killing me >.
[notify]