GO!

Infected incision... I'm so worried

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Gypsy

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 6:55am PST 
I apologize for not thoroughly reading the thread, but two things came to mind.

1. Everything I've ever read said you can use Neosporin sparingly, but only if it does NOT have pain relievers. Typically the ointment is used very sparingly, as having a bunch of petroleum jelly on an already aggravated spot is going to make you want to groom it more, rather than leaving it alone to heal.

2. Bitter Apple Spray can be used to keep cats from licking wounds. Don't apply it to the injury itself, just to the sides.

(I held up a piece of grapefruit peel to my cat the other day and she acted like I attacked her. So you might just buy a grapefruit, get some of the oils from the skin, and use that as a topical to keep your baby from overgrooming healing spots.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 1:53pm PST 
This is Delyte. Didn't know they made a onesie for cats like that. I couold have used one like that when I stripped all the fur off my back legs. I specialized in wiggling through the neckline of my sweater when no one was watching.

Every day means the damage is healing more and more! Good luck! Pretty soon the kitty will be running happily around and neither of you will remember these dark days. Purrs! cat on moon
[notify]

Spot- (Striped- Seven)

Feline Blood- Donor

Purred: Sat Feb 9, '13 3:03pm PST 
Yes the onesie medical shirt is very useful, but it doesn't cover the legs.
Here is a link if you're curious: http://www.medivetproducts.com/
I had my vet order it for me since they only sell to vets.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Mon Feb 11, '13 1:56pm PST 
Hope Spot is doing better. My mom had that happen with the suture thread she got a reaction to it. Then when she had her open heart surgery, they used a medical super glue & some steri strips (that was a bit unsettling, I kept waiting for something to fall out...)
[notify]

Spot- (Striped- Seven)

Feline Blood- Donor

Purred: Tue Feb 12, '13 10:24pm PST 
Yes he is slowly improving, it still looks really bad because of being open though. They found 2 bacteria in the culture and the antibiotic he is on is effective against both so we are going to keep him on that, he is also on probiotics. He is going back later in the week for a recheck and then they will decide about whether to close it up or let it heal without closing again. It has been tough though because I have to keep cleaning the incision and keep clothing on him 24/7 so he won't mess with and to keep it clean, and since it is draining some I put gauze pads in the clothes to keep it cleaner/dry so I have to keep changing them. He is so tired of it all but he is very patient.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2