GO!

Infected incision... I'm so worried

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Spot- (Striped- Seven)

Feline Blood- Donor

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '13 1:34pm PST 
I'm so worried about my cat... He had surgery on his lower abdomen almost a week ago and now his incision is infected. We went to the vet yesterday and they had to remove some dead skin and they cleaned it up and gave him some antibiotics. He also has edema near the area. They told me to clean it twice a day with Novalsan and put Vetericyn on it, and if it gets worse they might need to remove stitches and debride it.
I feel really bad because he got out of his medical covering (it's a shirt that covers the incision) in the night and I think he got it half off and peed on it before he got it all the way off, and then he licked the incision when it was off, so I think that is partly why it got infected.
I also now wish we had never done the surgery and I feel like a bad owner for putting him through all this. frown I've switched to a cone collar at night now instead but now I worry about leaving him alone at all, and I'm scared about what is going to happen with the infection.
[notify]

Kiki

You... Treats...- Now...

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '13 2:59pm PST 
It wasn't your fault that it got infected. things happen sometimes. Just keep an eye on him and make sure he's healing up alright. Get him to the vet if you have to, and do what you need to do to make sure he gets better.

I don't think you are a bad owner for doing the surgery, especially if it needed to be done. We'll be purring for you here.
[notify]

Sammie

little stinker

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '13 4:11pm PST 
ask your vet about trying to put some over the counter antibiotic cream with pain relief. not the ointment, the cream. the cream absorbs into the skin, and the pain relief will numb the area. do not think your a bad pawparent, your kitty needed surgery, and you had it done, thats not being a bad pawparent.

purrs
[notify]

Stephano

Purred: Thu Feb 7, '13 5:02am PST 
Don't feel bad, kitties are little devils when it comes to licking what they are not supposed to. I understand your fears about the cone collar too. My dog has been in an ecollar for two weeks, and I was terrified she would strangle herself, but she was ok...still, I was nervous every day I had to go to work and leave her, so I understand. If it were me, and I didn't have anyone that could cat sit for the day, maybe day board her? At a vet that you trust, that you know is clean and they will keep an eye on her, that way she could maybe be in the cone or the shirt and they could watch her? Or do you know of anyone who may be able to either watch her while you are gone, a retired neighbor that loves cats? I am the crazy cat lady in my neighborhood, and if someone came to me with this problem, I would take their cat in and watch it for the day, so it might be worth asking someone that you know is a pet lover. Maybe it just may take a day or two of this to get over the hump and get it to healing. Poor kitty! You are a good kitty momma, don't be mad at yourself.
[notify]

Spot- (Striped- Seven)

Feline Blood- Donor

Purred: Thu Feb 7, '13 10:38pm PST 
I'm mostly worried about at night when I'm asleep and can't watch him, that is when he got the wrapping off...
I was supposed to bring him in tomorrow but the incision looked worse so my vet fit me in today. The swelling was worse and there was a lot of drainage. My vet cleaned it and she ended up removing the sutures, she said they weren't really helping at this point and she thinks he could be allergic to them. They also did therapeutic laser treatment on him today. They sent us home with more antibiotics and probiotics because he's having soft stools. I am going to be bringing him back in tomorrow to do another laser treatment, and we are waiting for culture results so hopefully then we can do more targeted antibiotics. I feel really bad for him because it just looks awful, and he has been having to put up with so much with us messing with it. If I knew it was going to be like this I would have just not done the surgery and found some other solution.
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Fri Feb 8, '13 2:20am PST 
Dear Spot's Meouwmy....We are thinking of you and sending purrs and kitty-kisses.....
[notify]

Stephano

Purred: Fri Feb 8, '13 3:50am PST 
Stephano is hoping you feel better soon too. Stop being a naughty kitty and leave your wound alone, so mommy can sleep and not worry about you so much.
[notify]

Spot- (Striped- Seven)

Feline Blood- Donor

Purred: Fri Feb 8, '13 5:44pm PST 
We went back for a recheck today, they said it is a pretty sure that he is having a suture reaction. It has been seeming a little better since they removed some sutures yesterday. Today my vet looked at it and she removed multiple small areas of dead tissue and the rest of the external sutures, and the dead tissue was surrounding each suture which indicates that he is reacting to the sutures. She said there is less swelling above the area than yesterday so that's good. It looks awful though because now the incision is all open, but they don't want to close it up yet because they want to let it drain first, and they reassured me that its not really as bad as it looks because where it is open it is just granulated tissue that is exposed (the incision was only into the top layers, not deep). They might end up going back in later and removing the internal sutures are replacing them with something else but not until after the bacteria culture results come in.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Fri Feb 8, '13 9:24pm PST 
This is Delyte. Hope you are doing better? I had a huge incision when I had a tumor removed, and somehow, while I was still at the vet's, I got an ugly horrible burned looking spot next to the incision. It complicated the healing terribly and took forever to heal. Although I am an all black cat, the burned area is now covered with white fur, and so is a spot on my side which is where the tumor was attached inside.

I didn't help the healing either and was a devil about licking it, hiding from my treatments, refusing to eat and having to be forcefed, and being generally surly. I think they are glad at the vet that I am now too old to have any surgery.

Can he wear a shirt or sweater of any kind? Or will that make it worse? I have a turtleneck dog sweather that I had to wear last year when I began to pull off all of my fur. I did get used to it but it took a while. Getting the shirt off may tire him enough so that he leaves the incision alone.

My person is allergic to tape but they keep putting it on her and she has horrible reactions that are worse than the incisions they are supposed to protect. Hope that the suture removal helps. It probably is itching as it heals, which is maddening.

Giant purrs from all of us to help you heal from this terrible ordeal! hug cat on moon
[notify]

Spot- (Striped- Seven)

Feline Blood- Donor

Purred: Fri Feb 8, '13 9:57pm PST 
Yes he is wearing a modified onesie or a medical shirt to protect it, the medical shirt looks similar to a onesie except it is made for cats to protect things like this. The problem is that he tries to take the clothes off at night and also because it has to cover his lower stomach, so it goes around his tail and there is an opening so he can use the litterbox. But if he manages to wiggle the clothes around he can make it so he pees on the clothes, or sometimes take them off at night when I'm not watching.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2