GO!

Need advice for Luxating Patella in an older cat

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Panther

Purred: Mon Jan 21, '13 10:06pm PST 
Hey everyone. Panther was recently diagnosed with a luxating patella in one of her rear legs. I just took her to the clinic that I work at and we didn't do rads to begin with because the vet thought that it would essentially fix itself within a few weeks, given that we keep her confined.

Well, its been a few weeks and she hasn't shown any real improvement. She limps a little some days, and then other times she'll hold the leg completely off the ground. Both vets at my clinic whom I trusted moved at the same time, so I don't have a vet at the moment that I trust to take her to and I'm not sure what to do. She'll be going in later this week to meet a new vet and see if there's any options, but I was hoping someone here could give me some input too. I'm at a loss because I don't know what to do cry

I recently moved out so I could finish college and she's with my parents, which is partly why she didn't get to go back to the vet sooner. If I'd known she was still having such issues on some days, I would have helped her sooner and that makes me feel absolutely sick. I've already decided that next weekend I'm going to sneak her into my apartment with me where she can have more peace (Aspen keeps trying to play with her and has knocked her down a few times) and I can keep a closer eye on her since my parents obviously aren't going to.

Has anyone ever had a cat with luxating patellas? Especially an older cat, since Panther is going on 13. I know that surgery is the most common treatment, but I don't know if it would be worth it to put her through such a huge surgery, or even if I can find a surgeon experienced with this sort of thing. I'm really not ready to lose her to the rainbow bridge so I hope we can manage her somehow.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:20pm PST 
I don't know much about that, but I woud suggest taking her to a cat only vet. I think you might get better answers from a doc that works especially on kitties. Maybe she can have it just splinted & rest rather than surgery. Best of luck, maybe someone else here has had experience with this leg problem. hug
[notify]