GO!

Kitty Bronchitis Relief?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Sun Jan 13, '13 1:07pm PST 
I tend to read but not post here very often => I have a two year old who I adopted last year. He became ill during summer and I took him to the vet for bronchitis. We were given an antibiotic I believe and some prednisone pills which worked wonderfully. Later that very same summer it came up again and we went back to the vet. She suggested that he perhaps has a tinge of asthma, and that second case had resolved itself mostly by the time we got to the vet so she didn't give us any more medicine. I was told this sort of thing may continue but I don't need to bring him in unless he stops eating or is overly lethargic.

Anywho, the same thing is happening again, and while he is still eating and being fairly alert and active I still feel bad that I have nothing to relieve the symptoms. His cough is fairly infrequent but he tends to have an odd more rapid breathing pattern for a number of days. Does anyone with a similar experience know of anything you can do at home to help with this? I will be taking him to the vet later this week if things haven't cleared up.
[notify]

Calís- ta

Momma's girl

Purred: Mon Jan 14, '13 9:48pm PST 
My girl has asthma. It flares up with environmental changes such as weather or air quality. If your kitty has asthma it would behave like you've described, flaring and subsiding and prednisone would give him relief. My girl needs a daily inhaler to keep it away though. I noticed that if you search "asthma" here on catster, there are a lot of posts you might find informative.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Jan 15, '13 1:02pm PST 
I would love to be able to give him something but my vet didn't think it was serious enough to give us a regimen of prednisone. I did do a bit of searching but most topics seem to be discussing more serious cases. My kitty goes for many months without an outbreak (which I am almost certain is caused by change in weather ect. even though he does not go outside). Someone suggested I try and get some amazapet tablets to keep on hand, and I did make him an appointment today for Friday morning in case things don't clear up.
[notify]

Calís- ta

Momma's girl

Purred: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:18pm PST 
I apologize if I made it sound like I was recommending prednisone on a continued basis. Prednisone is very hard on the body and has serious side-effects. My girl only gets it in acute attack situations, which once she has a bad flare up, it can take several days to calm back down so it is usually a big dose of pred, followed by a maintenance dose for a few days then a taper off. Ask your vet if she/he has worked much with asthma...most haven't. Apparently only 1% of cats have it, so it's not that common. My girl's first attack was when she was 3. She turned blue--literally, every usually pink part of her turned blue and she was panting. It was terrifying. If I had gotten her to the vet even a few minutes later I would have lost her. Even with that, the vet didn't fully understand what it was. He saved her with prednisone and lasix (a water reduction med). He suspected a heart issue, and even though it was a misdiagnosis, it saved her because prednisone is a miracle drug like that. It actually took until she was 6 years old to get an accurate diagnosis! Finally after about 4 near death experiences, and many periods of panting or coughing, a huge animal diagnostic center was able to accurately diagnose her. They prescribed flovent as a daily inhaler which helps keep the major attacks away. When she does have an issue now I give her albuterol and prednisone as mentioned above. .....So, your vet may be on to something, but not understand it fully because it is rare and is different at different times and in different kitties. You might want to check out the feline asthma web-site, (google it just like that and it will come up) it explains a lot, and explains various triggers and treatments. Good Luck!
[notify]

Calís- ta

Momma's girl

Purred: Tue Jan 15, '13 6:24pm PST 
I also forgot to mention that my girl is always indoors too...but the weather changes and air quality still effect her. And I never noticed anything "serious" until she was 3...and most the time her symptoms are mild. I hope some of this helps! Know there are others in your corner!
[notify]

Purred: Wed Jan 16, '13 5:30pm PST 
I'll do some more reading up on it. Gosh that sounds horrible what happened to your kitty and very scary, and I'm glad you finally got things sorted out and she's doing better.

I know some of the effects of steroids because my Maine Coon was diagnosed with stomatitis. He was on steriods for many years before he got a full mouth extraction that finally got rid of it. The old guy still lived to be 22 years young in spite of everything, but I'd rather avoid giving this type of treatment to another cat if he doesn't need it as well.

As for vets, I'm still shopping around for a new one. I moved about three months ago and his last visit was with our old vet. I have an appointment for Friday with a local one, but my kitty is feeling much better today so I think we may be cancelling this time. I may call some places and ask about the vet's experiences with the condition. Thanks for the idea =]
[notify]