GO!

Trouble with Resistant Tapeworm

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Yuki

Mommy's- 'Blessing'

Purred: Sat Jan 5, '13 11:30am PST 
I am a first time pet owner. I adopted a 7-8 month old Domestic Shorthair. Shortly after adopting my little Yuki, I started seeing blood in his stool. I thought it might just be some colitis from the stress of moving to a new home. One morning, I saw a worm coming out of his bum. I immediately brought him to a vet, where he was diagnosed and treated for tapeworms. A couple weeks later, I found more blood in his stool. My boyfriend took him to the vet again and, this time, we were told he has a resistant worm. The type of worm he has came from eating a small fish or turning seafood (there is no way he got this after I adopted him). We were given a liquid medicine and told to give him 2.25cc's every day for 5 days, wait 10 days, and then do another 5 days of treatment. After starting the second cycle of medicine, he expelled two more worm segments. Does this mean his medicine is not working? Has anyone had any problems with this kind of worm before? And would you have any advice for me?

On a mildly unrelated note, I can barely afford to pay my rent, let alone all the vet bills. He had this worm before I adopted him. Shouldn't it have been the responsibility of the organization I adopted him from to make sure he was healthy? Should I be trying to have them reimburse me for the vet expenses?

Any insight on any of the above questions would be much appreciated! Thank you!
[notify]

Yuki

Mommy's- 'Blessing'

Purred: Sat Jan 5, '13 11:43am PST 
Just some additional information I forgot in the previous post...

The species of tapeworm is Spirometra mansonoides. The segments of the worm that are coming out of him are not the tiny segments that look like grains of rice. They are maybe 5-6 inches in length. Are they still classified as proglottids if they are that big? This is all very scary and gross. :
[notify]

Cookie

Being cute is so- exhausting!

Purred: Sat Jan 5, '13 12:47pm PST 
I'm sorry i can't help you but in my opinion the organisation you got your cat from should have made sure he was 100% healthy before letting him be adopted, have you contacted them and told them about this?
[notify]

Yuki

Mommy's- 'Blessing'

Purred: Sun Jan 6, '13 10:39am PST 
@ Cookie: Yes, I have. So far, their only response has been to tell me that they treat for worms, but they don't treat for the less common ones. Kind of a load of crap in my opinion.
[notify]

Knigget- (nig-get)

Purred: Mon Jan 7, '13 8:50am PST 
Oh my, that IS a load of crap. The animal should be healthy when you adopt them, if not then you should have been made aware of any pre exisitng problems or conditions. How unfair. frown

I have not had tapeworm experience with cats, but the dog I saved had an insane tapeworm that he literally strung across my HUGE yard. I had to work hard to get rid of it, it took a few months actually of all the damned segments, on the carpet, his kennel, constantly cleaning to make sure nobody ingested a segment since we have a house full of animals. His tapeworm was around 10 ft long, and let me tell you.. I was VERY unprepared for the entire thing to come out at once!

I found this, herbal treatments are easy to make at home and cost sometimes pennies! http://www.ehow.com/facts_6828323_holistic-homemade-tapeworm-pet-rem edy.html

I used garlic and yogurt for my dog. But I know herbals well, and do not recomend this. Dislodging the tapeworm all at once can cause it to collect in one spot and cause a blockage requiring surgery.

That tapeworm your kitty has is crazy, I did some research and it actually says to check the vet manual for treatment. :o

Good luck, and I hope this helps. I would seriously be asking for SOME sort of reimbursement from that organization you got your cat from.
[notify]

Cookie

Purred: Thu Jan 17, '13 12:47pm PST 
Any news?
[notify]

Yuki

Mommy's- 'Blessing'

Purred: Sun Jan 20, '13 8:16pm PST 
He still has the worms. We are on his third treatment. I spoke to the woman who fostered him and she said the same thing. I was told that it "didn't show up when we had a fecal flotation done" and that "it's just part of owning a pet." The woman spoke to me like I was an idiot, which I seriously did not appreciated. I will never adopt a cat through their organization again.

His belly seems a little less bloated now. I'm really hoping this will be the last treatment.
[notify]

Cookie

Purred: Wed Jan 23, '13 1:32pm PST 
Thats nonsense, i own cats and have never had a problem like yours so its not all part of being a cat owner...My cat Mac did have worms when we got him but luckily his were easily treated,
ive personally never known any cat to have a problem worms like your cat has and i still think the organisation you got him from should be doing more to help you.
[notify]

Yuki

Mommy's- 'Blessing'

Purred: Sun Jan 27, '13 7:05pm PST 
I completely agree with you, Cookie. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to get them to help, unless I try to get a lawyer involved. I barely have the money to pay for his treatment, let alone hiring a lawyer or something. : It's super frustrating, especially since he's such a sweetheart. He just finished "grooming" my hand. [:
[notify]

Buddha

Purred: Mon Jan 28, '13 8:27pm PST 
Tapeworms don't shed segments all the time and a cat can have a tapeworm and remain in good condition. It would be easy for a shelter to not know a cat has tapeworm.

In addition, per the Merck Veterinary Manual, Spirometra mansonoides is an uncommon (but not rare) parasite of cats and occasionally of dogs along the eastern and Gulf Coast areas of North America.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/2 3512.htm

More information on Spirometra mansonoides
http://pets.webmd.com/cats/tapeworms-cats
http://cal.v et.upenn.edu/projects/dxendopar/parasitepages/cestodes/s_mansonoides .html
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2