GO!

Anesthesia Chamber for Calming Cat for Exam

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:06pm PST 
My cat's annual is coming up on Monday and he was so horrible last year, escaping to the floor multiple times and struggling while the vet administered shots. I have a great vet, but they couldn't control him. He's great at home, so friendly, but turns into an evil hell cat at the vet.

He's never bitten or scratched anyone, but he growls and hisses, so it scares everyone. I asked if I could give him some meds prior to the visit and the vet said the safest option is to use a gas chamber to sedate him for the exam.

I'm not sure about this option! They say it's safe, but I don't have a great feeling about it. Also, it costs about $50.

Any thoughts on other ways to get my cat calm for his exam?
[notify]

Irma Thomas

Purred: Fri Jan 4, '13 7:29am PST 
YIKES....the term "Gas Chamber" sort of scares me. Why not just a shot to calm him down, whatever they use before putting an animal under for surgery, but a lighter dose. Guess what I would call "Twlight Sleep." I am going to call my vet's office and ask them about this, I have never heard of it, but obviously some vets do this, just seem sort of drastic. As soon as I get an answer will post back.

The last tomcat I had neutered, I had to use a "Feral Cat Trap" and put it in the house to get him to the vet. But one he had his surgery he was a different cat.

The New Orleans Kitties

shockshockshock
[notify]

Irma Thomas

Purred: Fri Jan 4, '13 7:50am PST 
Ok, I just spoke with one of the vet techs at my vets office. She said they have used such a thing, but do NOT call it a "Gas Chamber". Basically what happens they put a cat in a carrier into an "Oxogen Cage", and instead of pumping oxogen, a mild calming gas is pumped. Her suggestion was for you to bring your cat in a "Cat Trap", those long, square traps used to capture ferals. What they do at my vet's office is tilt the trap, and when the cats hindquarters are in the corner, give it a shot to put in into a "Twilight Sleep", and then proceed to the operating room. The tech said this would certainly work for a cat who is scared to be in the vet's office. And it is much easier on the cat, as they can be given a second shot to bring them around to be taken home. Your vet should have such traps available to borrow. I bought one at a place called Harbor Freight Tools and it cost $20.

Good Luck, and please let me know what happens.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Jan 5, '13 12:13am PST 
Irma, thanks for your help. I'll ask about the shots. I may also try playing Billie Holiday in the exam room before the vet arrives to see if that helps! Jazz calms my cat, but he did get freaked out immediately upon seeing the vet last year. This cat has a good memory.
[notify]

Miss- Elizabeth- Bennett

Looking for Mr.- Darcy

Purred: Sat Jan 5, '13 7:19am PST 
You're welcome. And glad we could help. This is what we all like about CATSTER, when you have a problem, question, concern, just post it in the Forums and somecat will have an answer, advice, etc. We LOVE our vets and their staff, who are so helpful. They also participate in a FREE OR $10 SPAY OR NEUTER for feral or "owned" cats, and over half of the staff fosters cats and kittens to help them find homes. And I am sure you could use a laugh....the program was extended through this year, and there I had gotten a flyer from another "Cat Lady". However, someone did not really proofread the flyer....it stated "FREE OR $10 SPAY/NEUTER FOR RESIDENTS OF JEFFERSON PARISH (we have parishes instead of counties in Louisian), AND ALSO FOR FERAL CATS LIVING IN COLONIES." When I asked my friend how many "Jefferson Parish Residents" ahd asked to be spayed or neutered she laughed and laughed. We also both wondered if somehow the person who trapped a cat would know if it was "Living in a Colony." My English teacher, the late Mrs. Long was a REAL stickler for such errors....and almost 50 years later, I remember. And I laugh everytime I think about it, and put a flyer on the bulletin board at my office. But grammer aside, the program has done a great deal to control the feral cat population and make it possible for everyone to afford to have a cat spayed or neutered. There is also a program for dogs.

The New Orleans Kittieswave
[notify]

Purred: Mon Jan 7, '13 8:22pm PST 
Just wanted to say that my cat did well at his appointment today. There was some hissing and growling, but overall, he was pretty good, considering. I decided to leave off the gas and played Billie Holiday on my phone. I think it helped, but also the vet let him stay in his carrier, just taking the top off of it.
[notify]