GO!

Just returned from vet....Cat has bladder crystals with Urine PH of 9

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Sat Dec 22, '12 6:19pm PST 
Hello all,

I've had my cat for about 3 months and hadswitched her diet from dry friskas, to wet fancy feast, and finally now blue wilderness salmon formula. In order to get her to eat it, i would sometimes mix in fancy feast appetizers (which being whole meat is something I as a parent agree with).

shes been on blue wilderness for about a week and today I found her frequently going to the litterbox. Saw that nothing was coming out, i immediately went to VET who informed me that she has crystals in her bladder ,her urine PH is 9, and blood in stool caused by roundworms. In addition, he found an infection in her urinary tract.

Vet wants me to stay on the current diet. He gave her a shot to relieve the bladder crystals and another for the roundworms..i'm to return in two weeks. if the UTI was gone, but crystals in bladder are still there...then its her diet....if the infection goes away and no crystals, her diet is fine.

now here is my concern, i have done some research and found that FISH based food is horrible for cats, in that it increases the likely hood of what my girl is experiencing right now.

should i get her off this fish based food immediately? i feed her dry blue wilderness chicken formula in the day time.

thank you all for any suggestions smile
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Dec 22, '12 7:18pm PST 
YES get her off the fish because its certainly not going to help matters. You might want to also get some Cosequin which helps heal the bladder lining. You can get that at any Petco or Petsmart. Stick with only wet food and no dry food. Only give filtered water as tap water is very hard on their kidneys and bladder. Add some water to the wet food as well to give as much moisture as possible.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Dec 22, '12 8:01pm PST 
thanks for your response ! i will look into your suggestion. i had no idea that salmon could cause such a huge problem. i've read that tuna was bad for cats and i've always assumed that feeding cats fish for human consumption was a no no but for canned fish food was fine....especially from a company like blue wilderness, i thought i was purchasing top notch cat food.

the vet also gave me no cause / treatment for roundworms other than a hairball formula, but right now my concern is UTI.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '12 5:12pm PST 
well, even though fancy feast isnt the best food, i decided to get her back on it. just one week of half a can of blue wilderness caused her so much pain and $500 for me...i'm not saying its a bad brand but i'm definetly not risking it with any of their other flavors
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '12 7:24pm PST 
As long as it's wet food that's the important thing. You could stick with the flavors that are gluten free. Always add a little water to the food also to keep things lubricated and flushing out the toxins. way to go
[notify]

Purred: Mon Dec 24, '12 9:28am PST 
thanks ! adding warm water to her wet food now, 2x a day. no dry whatsoever
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Mon Dec 24, '12 12:34pm PST 
Even after she recovers, please stay away from dry food. This is the culprit more than the fish food but I stopped feeding fish based food for years. I do only turkey and chicken. They can get
real wild salmon treats but only as a treat. I like Wellness food. There are no grains in it and their stomachs do well. I buy online because it is the easiest. With stormy weather, I don't want to be out of their food. Friskies-wet- is ok but not all the time. Did he treat for the worms?......
She may avoid the litter box because of her infection. There is Dr. Elsey's attractive litter that you can get if this happens. Alex had good advice for you......
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Dec 24, '12 1:20pm PST 
Actually I am on an FLUTD forum and Wellness has a very high PH and is not recommended for kitties with bladder, crystal and UTI issues.
[notify]

Purred: Mon Dec 24, '12 6:38pm PST 
she was given two shots, one for the worms and the other for the crystals.... in addition to a hairball formula.

i'm making her food almost like soup now haha for the next couple days, then i will add less water. want her to flush out whatever stones she has left.
[notify]