GO!

Soft Stools, Diarrhea: Solutions & Experiences

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Cesar

the orange one

Purred: Wed Feb 20, '13 5:14pm PST 
not sure if this will help or not, when i first got cesar, he had diarrhea, and you knew it when he went, our vet told me to try a 1/4 teaspoon of REGULER strength kaopectate. after about 2-3 days, it cleared cesar up, and since then, no problems. if any of my kitties happens to get a upset tummy, usually give them a 1/4 teaspoon, and within a day, they are back to themselves. but, as always, check with your vet first.

purrs
[notify]

Purred: Sat Apr 20, '13 7:29am PST 
I possibly just found a solution to my Rosie's soft stools, after we've tried a little bit of everything: FRESH catnip. I happened to find some down in our pasture and brought it inside, gave her a leaf. For the first time since November, without help (like diarrhea medicine that only worked for a few days), her poop was normal! I gave her a leaf a day and her poop stayed normal. When I didn't give her a leaf, she had loose poop. Now I'm not saying the catnip IS what solved her problem (could be coincidental, but not likely!) and am not saying it would work for everyone, but so far it looks promising. I don't know if it is something that will resolve itself eventually without the catnip or not. The other two cats suddenly had loose poop in December, and in January we switched to a prescription Iams food - Intestinal Plus - and it worked in 3 days for them, but not for Rosie. She's had loose poop since November when she was on an antibiotic. But we tried FortiFlora and that seemed to make it worse. The vet couldn't figure out what her problem is and he did tests that showed nothing. Anyway, there it is -- maybe this will help somebody else. It is nice to scoop tootsie roll poop instead of the loose stuff that sometimes drips off the scooper! YUCK!
[notify]

Purred: Mon May 6, '13 9:22am PST 
Hi, everyone!
I'm the one who wrote about the catnip helping.
Well, it didn't work long term but we did find a solution. I think the reason that the catnip helped was because when she ate the catnip, she didn't eat as much of her food. That finally occurred to me. And the one thing that was in all of the food we gave her was CORN. So we switched to a NO-CORN, NO CORN GLUTON, NO WHEAT, totally organic dry food called "nulo Naturals" (which stands for nutrition plus love). We bought it at the Earth Fare market, but I think Whole Foods sells it too, plus you can get it on line. Well, since she's been eating this food, she's been fine: NORMAL TOOTSIE ROLL POOP! I even mix just a little of the other food we were using (Iams gastrointestinal Plus dry prescription food) just to use it up (there's corn grits and corn meal in it), and as long as she doesn't get a lot of the food with corn in, she's fine. The other cats are good with it too. I'm glad to report a definite success!!
I know what a worry and a pain this is, so I hope you all who are having this problem can find a solution. You might want to try this food.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2