GO!

Food For A Diabetic Over Weight Cat

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sushi

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 7:52pm PST 
Hello again,

So I was recently talking to someone I live with about the food she feeds her cat. Her cat is quite over weight and diabetic (Though she doesn't take insulin) and she was feeding her a "special" form of on of the "Bad" dry foods. She told me to tell her what was wrong with it so I had a look at the bag. This food was all carbs. The only meat source is the first ingredient is poultry meal. Which I believe is just the bones. So she asked me what food would be best to feed her. So here I am looking it up for her! wave

First off, cheap and easy is best. I'm very pro raw, so a pre made cheap raw is a great option! She won't eat canned food so I think that's out of the question unless there is a good way to try and get her to eat it.

Any suggestions are great! And it would be good if you worded your responces as if you were talking to her, since I will be reading them to her. Also try to explain why the food you are recommending would be better for her rather than the food she is feeding.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:21am PST 
Please explain to your friend that it's the dry food that has made her overweight and given her diabetes. The trick to treating diabetes with diet is high protein and low carbs. This is achieved through raw or canned. I don't think there's such a thing as cheap pre-made raw. You can do it yourself much, much cheaper but if the cat won't eat canned she might not eat raw either and your friend might not be up for preparing it. She might be better off trying to switch the cat to a high protein canned food. Believe it or not there are certain flavors of Friskies and Fancy Feast that are high protein. There are plenty of tricks to getting her to switch to canned. There's a whole section on catinfo.org. Good luck!
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 9:49pm PST 
Dry food is very bad for cats. They should only be fed a canned, homemade or raw diet. Cats don't drink much and a dry food keeps them constantly dehydrated, along with causing obesity, fatty liver disease, and kidney failure. PetSmart sells an affordable canned food called Authority for cats. Tell your friend that she needs to purchase the Oceanfish flavor, as it has the most protein. Diabetes in cats is well controlled with a high protein diet. If your friend is in need of something a bit cheaper, you can have her look at Fancy Feast Shreeded Yellowfin Tuna Fare with Garden Greens. Again, very high in protein and great for diabetes! This cat needs to be switched to a diet of canned food. It will be easier than switching to a raw diet, which can be done in the future if she wishes.
[notify]

Sushi

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 7:43pm PST 
Alright, thanks everyone! She understood, and will do half and half until the food she has now is gone, then she will do only canned. What she's wondering now is what the best canned foods would be for her. (Price is really no matter) I'm thinking possibly Stella & Chewy's Chick Chick Chicken Dinner? Since that says it has a minimum of 45% crude protein? Or maybe Honest Kitchen Grace? Since it's 38% min? Maybe with just some extra water added, does anyone have any ideas for anything else that's amazing food I'd like a long list for her to pick from.

Edited by author Sat Dec 1, '12 7:53pm PST

[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 8:07pm PST 
Well, cats are obligate carnivores. No dry food can meat their need for protein. The best diet is going to be one that is raw or homecooked. If your friend prefers to go the commercial route, Fancy Feast has the highest protein of any canned cat food. Cats need protein! I've done a lot of research on the subject. Fancy Feast is the highest in protein. It's also a very low-cost cat food. Carbohydrates in a cats diet are dangerous. There is a link between poor diet and diabetes in cats. Cats fed a low protein, high carbohydrate diet will often develop diabetes. I'm very passionate about feeding cats the best food possible. The average cat eats poor quality food. Unlike humans, cats have no need for fiber, so a low carb, not a high fiber diet is going to help with weight loss. Fancy Feast is probably the best for diabetic cats.
[notify]

Sushi

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 8:32pm PST 
What's your opinion on the two I posted. I don't really like fancy feast, as it's got a lot of artificial things and such. I actually just went to their website, and the first food I looked at was just min 11% protein, the ones I posted above were triple or quadruple that. They both aren't actually dry foods, you add water to them, and I plan to tell her to add a lot of water.

Edited by author Sat Dec 1, '12 8:34pm PST

[notify]

Sushi

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 8:32pm PST 
Double post, stupid mouse clicks things twice sometimes

Edited by author Sat Dec 1, '12 8:33pm PST

[notify]

Paula

Guinea Pigs are- Food - Not Pets

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:04pm PST 
The protein looks good, but there is too little moisture. Cats don't drink much naturally and dry or dehydrated food keeps them in a constant state of dehydration. We use to feed our cats on Tiki Cat, but have switched to a raw diet. Their canned food has 14% protein. This is equal to 70% protein in a dry cat food! The way you calculate dry matter protein in a canned cat food is start with 100 and subtract the percentage of moisture. In Tiki Cat, this would be 80%. Then, you will divide the amount of protein (14%) with the dry content (20%). Then, multiply by 100. So, Tiki Cat is 70% protein in dry matter. Another great food is Fromm, however the protein content is significantly lower, at 39% dry matter protein. Ziwi Peak is yet another great cat food, with a dry matter protein content at 45%. However, for this particular cat, Tiki Cat is going to be the best for weight loss and controlling diabetes.

Edited by author Sat Dec 1, '12 9:05pm PST

[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 11:51pm PST 
Diabetes is a very serious illness. Carbohydrates are just the worst thing for a diabetic cat. When you put a cat on a lower carbohydrates diet, you must lower the insulin dosage. This is critical. I would stick with canned food, not a dehydrated diet. If your friend wants to do a raw diet, then Bravo Balanced Blends could be a good place to start. It is a low carbohydrate raw frozen diet. I would stay away from all prescription diets. They must charge 50x what those diets are actually worth! They just aren't worth it. Diabetes is, unfortunately, very common in cats. Feeding a cat with diabetes a diet that is high in carbohydrates is like pouring gasoline on a fire. However, all cats differ in their ability to tolerate carbs. Before trying to treat a disease with a diet change, it is advisable that your friend learns the basics of cat nutrition (the real ones, not the vet ones)!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:25am PST 
Any of the Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw food is fine for a diabetic cat as long as the food is rehydrated with water before serving. The food is meant to be served rehydrated if you are feeding it as a regular meal. As a treat it is ok to be fed dry.

Do not feed any of the Honest Kitchen products. They are too high in carbs for a diabetic cat, around 20% shock Grain-free does not necessarily mean low carb.

You want to feed low carb foods. Please read the section on diabetes at Catinfo.org for proper nutrition.

Pet food labels have useless information. In order to find out exact nutritional content, you can check out one of these food charts:

Catinfo.org protein/carb/fat chart New as of Sept. 2012
Hobo's Guide to Nutritional Values
Pet Food Nutritional Values
Binky's canned food charts
Dr. Lynne's Wet Food list for diabetics
List of low carb gluten free Fancy Feast

Food that is under 10% carbs is best for diabetic cats.

Popular canned food brands to feed are Fancy Feast, Wellness, Innova EVO, Merrick, and Nature's Variety among many others. You can check the food chats to see which of the varieties are low in carbs. Fancy Feast, for example, has tons of varieties but only the Classic (pate) line is low enough in carbs for a diabetic. Most of the Wellness canned varities (not those Wellness pouches) are low in carb but a few are not.

Many commercial raw foods are good for diabetics. Nature's Variety's frozen raw foods are good (not the freeze dried ones because those are supplement only foods). Primal Pet and Feline's Pride are good.

Homemade raw foods are good as long as you are using a good recipie that does not include grain/starches/veggies/etc. The recipie at Catinfo.org is popular. A frankenprey raw diet is good.

Have your friend visit FelineDiabetes.com for more info on how to best manage her diabetic cat. There is a very good message board there where your friend can talk with other diabetic cat owners and get help and advice.

Edited by author Sun Dec 2, '12 7:29am PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2