GO!

Mom;s cat

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Jared

Lefty

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 6:11pm PST 
My Mom's cat has stopped grooming herself regularly and is losing hair on the tips of her ears. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. Cat in question is 13yrs.
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 7:16pm PST 
Please take the kitty to the vet. Anytime a cat stops doing it's normal things like grooming and is losing hair, something is wrong. It needs to be checked. Do you notice any other strange behavior? Sleeping more, eating less, lethargic, depressed, etc? These are all symptoms that kitty is sick.
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:52pm PST 
That's not a good sign. Cats are very clean creatures. Amber even grooms herself after being petted. She must think she is even cleaner than I am! Something is definitely wrong with this poor cat. Is the coat now harsh or greasy? Does she have mats? It sounds like she is probably sick. Amber always grooms herself after she eats, too. Your mother's cat might be in pain. Because of her age, I suspect arthritis. Is she overweight? Have you noticed any drooling? Sometimes something as simple as a lifestyle change can cause a cat to stop grooming. Have your mom start brushing her cat on a daily basis. Since she is an older cat, she probably needs some help. It's crucial to remove shed hair before they form mats. Brushing her may help get her back into the habit of grooming. If she is overweight, give her rear end special grooming attention, as fat cats just can't reach.
[notify]