GO!

My son rolled on Dante - trouble with hind legs

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dante (in- loving- memory)

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 4:55pm PST 
I need some help as we won't have money for the vet til Saturday.(we have $10 LITERALLY) James rolled onto his kitten last night - he is having a hard time using his hind legs. FINALLY tonight he was able to stand for about 30 seconds - He "crawled" to the water and he's eating fine.

Any suggestions - I called the vets office but they won't help til I go in (the vet that used to run the office retired - and he let me come in before I could pay - but the new guys won't )

he does not seem to be in pain - he went to my son and crawled in his lap and gave him kisses

I feel bad because I don't have $$ right now frown
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:45pm PST 
Can he move his back legs at all or does he appear to be getting any better? It could be a pinched nerve or possibly a fracture in his pelvis. Another thing to be watching is that he is going to the bathroom ok, if not then I would take him in to an emergency vet or find another one that will let you pay when you can...will you vet take a post dated check?
[notify]

Sushi

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 12:49am PST 
What Macy said, and also, I know this does not help at all now, but you might want to start a savings account for vet emergancys like this one. That way if something happens you have money waiting.
[notify]

Dante (in- loving- memory)

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 4:14am PST 
he can move them, just not put weight - we did have a savings - we've had three animal issues that cost a bundle this year plus major medical problems with me (bad year) Normally it's not this bad ($$ wise)

He seems to be doing a bit better today and yes he is going to the bathroom
[notify]

Zeus

I live to- protect my- human.

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 5:39pm PST 
a friend lent me money today so I could take Dante to the vet - He had a broken pelvis - The vet suggested it would be best to put him to sleep (he was the runt also) And even if I had gone yesterday when it happened - it would not have made a difference - he just got spoiled today before he went to the vet

My son (9) feels horrible - he keeps saying I killed my cat I'm a bad person - it was an accident - I know it was not his fault. Dante liked to snuggle -James didn't notice it.

Any idea on what I can do to help him
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 9:27pm PST 
I'm so sorry to hear about this horrible tragedy! Let your son know that this wasn't his fault. It was an accident and accidents happen. Maybe let him do something good, in memory of Dante. He could do chores around the house for money, and then donate that money to an animal shelter or cat rescue. What do you think? He could tell them it is in memory of his cat. I know that would make me feel better. He could even get some neighborhood jobs, like raking leaves for people you know. Just for him to know he could help other cats would probably make him feel a whole lot better. He will feel guilty for a while, but I think if he knows he is saving the lives of other cats and even making their lives better, it will really help him heal. Let him know, from one cat lover to another, that Dante wouldn't be mad at him and would know it was an accident. little angellittle angellittle angellittle angel
[notify]

Zeus

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 9:53pm PST 
My son wrote him a letter (he wants me to bury it with him) - it was before he died

It is ok for you to cross the rainbow bridge. I will be ok. I am sorry. I love you. James

I know tomorrow we are going to have a "Celebration of Life" Dinner for the 3 cats we have lost since July (two had to be put down, 1 died to age/kidney problems)

I feel bad as well, it wasn't until Dante was 3 months I allowed him to stay overnight with him (he was gonna be 4 months on the 10th) Maybe if I hadn't......

but James has been around cats/kittens since he was a newborn - we used to take in strays (pregnant ones) Let them deliver - find the kittens a new home at 8 weeks and the mom too! We helped over 100 cats/kittens in 3 years

He knew how to be around kittens
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:10pm PST 
I think that is a wonderful idea that will probably make him feel a lot better. A celebration of life sounds so great! You guys have helped a lot of cats in the past, and maybe bring that up to James. It will take time for everyone to feel better. Grieving is a process. But, accidents happen. Even to those of us who know what we are doing. Dante might have just been too small to sleep in bed with someone. I've heard of human babies dying when a parent rolls over on them in bed. So, accidents happen to even those who are the most careful. Perhaps it isn't a good idea to let kittens sleep in bed with you. I never even thought about this until reading about poor Dante. I've made my fair share of mistakes in the past, and all we can do is live and learn. I'm sure you've read the rainbow bridge poem, and it would be great to give to James, if he hasn't read it already.
[notify]

Zeus

Purred: Wed Dec 12, '12 3:38pm PST 
to those who were wondering my son is doing ok. We picked out a plant - he picked out the same butterfly/hummingbird bush we have over Baybee (so during the spring and summer we'll have Butterfly's and Hummingbirds near him) He loves them as much as I do and he knows it will be a good photographic opportunity for me (I'm in photography school)

He helps water the plant and when it's not raining he goes out and talks to Dante and tells him how much he misses him (I told him it will help the plant grow b/c I believe speaking to plants help them grow

He knows Dante has wings and he says he has seen him in his room
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:17am PST 
Dear James and James's mum.......OOhhhhhhh so much love to you both.....what a horrible thing to have happen to James...but it WAS AN ACCIDENT.....

You have had some really good advice here from others.....but, all I want to say is that accidents between cats and people are ALWAYS 'Just Waiting to Happen'.....eg. I have kicked my cats...often.....in the darkness, because they are black, and one time I only just managed NOT TO SIT on one of them....it is so easily done, because we are so much bigger than them.....

I THINK...(but who am I to know?)....that James's letter to Dante was a really lovely thing and, perhaps, you should get a new little kitten soon? So that James KNOWS it was not his fault and that he is still trusted with little animals......

In some ways, small human-people are as vulnerable as small animal-people....and James has got to live with himself for many, many more years to come.....perhaps get a new little kitten....and get James to take it out in the garden and show it where Dante is buried and talk about him to it.....don't know....but it just seems to me that what happened with James and Dante MUST NOT BE FORGOTTEN for some time....so that JAMES CAN GET RID OF THE HORROR......slowly, gradually....and not be left (in 20? 30? years time with something 'orrible in his head and heart)....

Well, that's just my idea....probably crap.....but there you go.....

All best love to James, you and the rest of your family.....

Jan xxx
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2