GO!

FIV positive cats introduced to cats without it?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Mortimer

Momma loves my- beautiful eyes

Purred: Sun Nov 25, '12 10:43am PST 
Ruffy, that was wonderful!
[notify]

Kyubey

PLAY!!! Play- play play play- pl...zzzzzzz

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 6:08pm PST 
I fostered a pair of kitties where one was FIV+ and the other was not. They were very good friends, and while FIV baby Zeke passed away from his illness eventually, Callie is still alive and well and FIV negative, though she shared her life with Zeke for years.
[notify]

Sushi

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 12:57am PST 
Thanks Ruffy! The cats have been introduced and all is going just fine. A bit of hissing here and there, but nothing more than that. Someone always walks away. Sushi seems to be at the top, as whenever he gets into a "Hissing Battle" With any of the other cats, they always run away and he stand his ground. Nothing has happened, and all cats are very happy! party
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Fri Nov 30, '12 10:31pm PST 
I work as a profesional cat groomer, I actually have clients asking me this question a lot. I've had a few people who found out their new rescue cat had FIV or even a cat they have had a while tested positive. Honestly, most cat rescues give very bad advice when it comes to the subject of FIV. Actually, as long as there isn't fighting, the risk of transmission between cats is very low. You need to take the temperament of the individual cats into account. I've never had an FIV cat, so I'm only telling you what I know from talking to well informed veterinarians and owners of FIV+ cats. In fact, one of my clients has an FIV+ cat and two FIV- cats. She rescued her FIV cat as a kitten. She actually does a lot of foster work, too. He is so gentle with other cats, she never has to worry about transmission!
[notify]

Smokie Boo- Dreamboat- #104b

Rescued cats- like me are the- best!

Purred: Tue Dec 4, '12 7:42am PST 
Not all vets are good at all, and some just don't know much about FIV at all. The vaccination, Hobbs, is not a great idea for the simple reason that if the kitty vaccinated every got out, or had to board, etc, the test for it would come back positive. This can create problems for some cats.

There are many good kitty vets out there-but finding a great vet takes time-we know!
[notify]

Tia

Typical Female

Purred: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:32pm PST 
3/100 cats have FIV. Most animal shelters and rescues don't test cats before they are adopted out. Many cats live long and healthy lives without ever being diagnosed. Sadly, many FIV+ cats are often overlooked by potential adopters. Even though they are healthy! FIV cats thrive in a home environment. Unfortunately, nobody ever gives them a second look! If you are interested in fostering, please look into fostering and FIV+ cat. There are rescues that cater to these special kitties. We rescued Tia as a kitten. She lived her first few months of life in a cage. She was really shy when we first got her. Nobody wanted her because she was born to an FIV+ mother and is FIV+ herself. Tia just loves attention! All she wants is to be loved. I'm so glad we adopted her, but to this day, she is still really hand shy if you move to fast.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2