GO!

Aging sick cat please help!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '12 6:35am PST 
My 11 yr old domestic short hair has been acting "off" for about a month. It started when we were out of town and when we got back I took him to 2 different vets who both did complete bloodwork, with everything showing up normal. They both referred me to an opthamologist as one of his symptoms was decrease in vision and the opthamologist said the eyes looked normal w a little aging and to return in 3 weeks for a recheck and if the same will be referred to neuro. He is indoors all the time, never outside, same as his brother and the 3rd cat we have. He is up to date on all shots. Results for hyperthyroidism, diabetes, kidney, feline leukemia, feline AIDS, were all negative and normal. They checked his teeth and gums, felt his bones to check for injuries, felt his stomach. All normal. He is not limping, he's eating and drinking normal and using the litter box properly. And saying all that makes him sound normal but he's not. He has always been very skiddish and scared of people. He's also always been extremely vocal (and annoying) and now he will come out when strangers r over and he very rarely meows. He circles around me and my son and sort of paces around the house, seeming restless. If he jumps on the couch or a bed, sometimes he misses, or even sometimes laying on the bed, he will be close to the edge and just slide off. He seems confused and disoriented at times as if he's seeing the other cat or my son for the first time. Please if anyone has any clue or experience w anything similar pleas respond to this thread. I have spent hours upon hours on the Internet trying to find something and I'm just at a loss. I can't just sit around and not do anything for him when I feel he's in pain or dying. Thanks!
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '12 9:12am PST 
Sounds either congitive issue or neurological to me. I would try & check with a neurologist. I know there are a few kitties on here that have had neuro issues. Leo for one. I hope you can get some answers. It is hard when you know something is just "not right" you know your kitty best, and I understand your frustration.
Here is Leo http://www.catster.com/cats/1000247

Edited by author Fri Nov 2, '12 9:20am PST

[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Wed Nov 7, '12 1:17pm PST 
Did they check his blood pressure? High blood pressure can affect vision.

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Nov 7, '12 2:57pm PST 
Cats can get dementia as they get older as well but checking the blood pressure is something the vet should be doing as well!
[notify]