GO!

Cat that had anal glands expressed 2 days ago, now diahrea...??

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Fri Sep 21, '12 1:00pm PST 
Cat that had anal glands expressed 2 days ago, now diahrea...??

So Sept 18 I had my cats anal glands expressed. Was given antibiotics, and cream. Sept19. I came home from work to her sitting in the windowsill panting. And really itching her bum. She had some diahrea today. So I rushed her to my vets. He said its probably the anibiotics given, making her tummy sore, and giving her the runs. I guess the runs is irritating the glands?? So he said to stop the antibiotics and cream and he gave her a pain relief/anti imflam shot. He also gave probiotics. If any changes, back she goes tonight or tomorrow morning for xrays. I will be up all night monitering her.

She finally had a snooze. She got up and did the a-walk. I guess shes just that irritated. A few minutes later she ate some canned food. So any thoughts would be great.

Oh and she is almost 2 years old. Indoor only.
Sept21 still the runs but not alot of volume. Eating and drinking good. Breathing seems to be better
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Sep 21, '12 1:52pm PST 
Don't understand the question, it seems like she's doing much better. The antibiotics definitely can cause diarrhea, it happens quite often. And yes, if the anal glands were just expressed then she's going to be sore so just give it time, I think she'll be okay. way to go
[notify]

Purred: Fri Sep 21, '12 3:28pm PST 
Thanks! I am new to the whole gland thing. I dont personally know other people with their cats having this issue. The ones with dogs, they say its done and over with after the vet visit. I just didnt know how long it takes for their "area" to recover. I guess the "runs" just added fuel to the fire, so to speak. I just like to hear other peoples experiences, you can also never have to many opinions smile
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Sep 21, '12 4:38pm PST 
I get ya. Yes, kitties are so different really from dogs and antibiotics and having the poops is not new unfortunately. They seem to have that reaction a lot but it's a necessary evil sometimes. big grin
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Sep 21, '12 4:43pm PST 
You can express the anal glands yourself at home. It will save you a trip to the vet's office or groomer and definitely saves you money. Ask your vet to show you how. Warning: anal gland goo STINKS eek Put your cat on an old towel and wear disposable gloves and have plenty of paper towels on hand. Maybe even clean the butt with a pet bath wipe afterwards to remoe any remaining goo and some of the odor. Express the glands as often as needed. Human's Leroy has a stinky butt and needs his glands expressed once a week or so, sometimes more often eek
[notify]

Purred: Fri Sep 21, '12 5:13pm PST 
I dont know about doing it myself... she was quite nasty with the vet doing it. I do want to up her fibre to see if that will help Lexy to do it on her own. After shes better though!
[notify]

Purred: Sat Sep 22, '12 3:19am PST 
In case of cats the antibiotics definitely can cause diarrhea, it happens quite often. And yes, if the anal glands were just expressed then she's going to be sore so just give it time, I think she'll be okay.

Edited by moderator Sat Sep 22, '12 5:42pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

Purred: Sat Sep 22, '12 11:09am PST 
So last night at 11 she had a normal bowel movement. Also at 4am this morning, both not too soft or hard. But there was a bit of blood in it. She is still eating drinking and pee fine. But still has the discomfort after going poo. waiting for the vet to call me back.
[notify]