GO!

cats/asthma/new food/dandruff?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Tam & Maso

Purred: Fri Sep 14, '12 1:08pm PST 
Hi Everyone,

Our Person posted this in the Answers question when we wanted to post it here. We are 2.5 year old; both of us have been dealling with asthma (Tam more so). Our vet and Person can't identify the trigger. We've changed litter types, open boxes, we're using good air filters and changing once a month, no aerosols or perfumes in the house. Perfume-free laundry detergent. Air testing showed low amounts of mold/VOCs. No smoking at all in the house.

We also have excessive ear wax, always have.

Our vet recently put us on Hills Z/D for the ear wax, we were on Instinct wet and dry previously; our Person used a 6 day intro period, gradually reducing the amount of the Instinct. On day 2 we both developed dandruff and sensitivity at the base of our tails. Neither of us wants to be scritched there any more, and we used to *love* being scritched there! When our Person called about the dandruff the vet added an Omega3 supplement. The day before the Omega3 started our poo was an odd combination of really dark and really light colors.

Two questions, really: 1) can a food allergy cause asthma? 2) If the dandruff is an allergic reaction and not due to a dietary deficiency, is the Omega3 simply going to mask a larger problem?

Thanks for any thoughts! Our Person is getting a second vet opinion next week.
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Fri Sep 14, '12 6:25pm PST 
Firstly, often the trigger for feline asthma is never identified. While you're trying to identify triggers, the important thing is to focus on controlling the inflammation in the airways because uncontrolled inflammation = more coughing/wheezing and more coughing/wheezing = more inflammation in the tiny airways a cat has. Eventually, permanent scarring to the airways will occur.
The best treatment for feline asthma is inhaled medications (inhalers), as they have far less side effects as the drugs are directed straight to the lungs and a much smaller dose is given than with oral medications.
I myself don't know if food allergies can cause feline asthma but I suppose it could be possible, although I don't believe it's a a common cause.
I strongly recommend joining the yahoo groups for feline asthma, particularly 'felineasthma_inhaledmeds' as they have members who are very knowledgeable and experienced with all aspects of feline asthma.
As far as Omega 3 supplement goes - I don't think it will do any harm at all or mask any bigger problems.

Hope your 2nd opinion vet is experienced in feline respiratory issues, as they can be hard to find.
Purrs ~ Blade
[notify]

Tam & Maso

Purred: Sat Sep 15, '12 7:01am PST 
Thanks so much for the information! I will check out the groups. Tam has had two steroid shots, but none of us want him on shots long term because of the risks. Right now he's on predisolone and theophylliene, but I travel a fair amount for work and administering the dosages are going to be a challenge. He's a shy little guy.

I'm hoping we can get him on an inhaler if he needs meds long term--that will be better for all of us, especially him. My current vet doesn't have any experience with inhalers, part of the reason for the 2nd opinion. I just want to to try to eliminate every trigger I can before putting him on meds for the rest of his life.

Thanks again!
[notify]

Sammie

little stinker

Purred: Sat Sep 15, '12 2:35pm PST 
have some experince with asthma. back in 09, found out sammie had asthma, he was put on prednisone, stayed on it for 2 weeks, taken off, lasted a little while, before his attacks started again. went back on the prednisone, and what i did was instead of giving sammie a pill everyday, i started giving him a pill every other day, then every 2, then 3, intill we found out that he was good with getting a pill every 4-6 days. also, his attacks went from long drawn out to a simple cough. then they had a problem where they make prednisone, it is on back order, my vet put sammie on something else( forget what they put him on, name on bottle is worn, can not read it), well, this other stuff, does still help, but, not as good. he is still at every 4 days getting his pill, sometimes he will cough a couple days in a row, then, he will go for a week our more with out a cough. they only problem with the new stuff, is, that his cough went back to being the long drawn out cough, so, we a praying that prednisone starts getting made again. sammie went for his shots this week, yearly check up, got blood work done, everthing came back in the normal range, so, hope this helps. will get the name of the new stuff sammie is on, monday. here is a link that has some info for prednisone for cats.
[notify]

Tam & Maso

Purred: Sun Sep 16, '12 6:29pm PST 
Thanks very much for sharing your and Sammie's experience--it's really helpful. I hope you can get back to prednisone asap! I also hope we can get Tam dialed as far back as possible--I hate to medicate when it's not necessary.

Tam's recent attacks thus far have been short, 20 seconds or so, once a day for a week the last stretch before I brought him in and this current regimen started. My house had just been painted and despite daily airings out and a 24 hour delay before bringing them home from boarding I think there were still fumes. The house has been aired for 12 days straight now, 14 total, and I'll keep going until I can't stand the cold.

His brother Maso's also had attacks in the past but now, post-painting and some other elimination actions, is attack free. Given Tam's history, which is more severe, it's probably naive of me to hope he can go off meds, but if at least we can cut down to every 4-5 days we can make that work.

Thanks so much again!
[notify]

Sammie

little stinker

Purred: Wed Sep 19, '12 6:09pm PST 
right now Sammie is on Prednisalone 5mg. i pill every 4-5 days. hope this helps. except for not wanting to swallow his pill, lol, have not had any major problems, healthwise with the pill.
[notify]