GO!

Not eating

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '12 5:05am PST 
First, yes, we are planning a vet appointment. Chiquitita has decided to quit eating. This is bad on many levels; mainly if she does not eat, she does not get her medicine. Friday, today is Sunday and we are 7 hours ahead of the States, she was finicky, Saturday she hardly ate at all, and today she has not eaten anything (it's almost 3PM). She does appear to have a small sore on her bottom lip, and we were told she has a cavity, however she only eats wet food these days so the tooth should not effect her ability to chew too badly. Her energy is close to normal, yet she does not appear to be enjoying her naps with the same enthusiasm as she normally shows while sleeping. That last sentence was strange, I know, but she usually sleeps with a very "happy" expression on her little face, yesterday and today there is no sign of enjoyment in her sleep, AND she did not follow me into the kitchen for breakfast... I'm worried- she's 16 and has had some major health issues. If anyone knows of a broth I could make her I'd be greatly appreciative of the recipe-she simply MUST have her meds. Or, if anyone knows if baby orajel can be used in case the sore on her mouth is causing the pain that is preventing her from eating. I would be greatful for any advice until we can be seen by the vet.

Much love,
Chiquitita's mommy
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '12 5:37am PST 
You can puree canned food in a blender with water and make turn it into soup. Then just syringe feed the mixture. You can buy pet feeding syringes at the pet store or liquid medicine syringes at the Human pharmacy. The vet can even give you some.

You can also try meat baby food. Be sure to read the baby food label- some contain garlic and other things that are hamrful to cats. Beechnut brand has meat in broth baby foods that are good to use.

You could also temporarily feed this liver shake mixture: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30432

I wuld not use any OTC Human medicine like Orajel. Many Human medicines are toxic to cats.
[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '12 6:59am PST 
Thanks Merlin, we will try the baby food.
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '12 7:00am PST 
How is Chiqi doing? Sending purrs for her.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '12 7:41pm PST 
When that tooth is taken care of she will probably get better quickly. But that does not help with the non eating. Merlin already suggest the baby food. You might try mixing some of the milk replacer in with her wet to see if you can stimulate her appetite.
[notify]

Maizy

Purred: Sun Sep 16, '12 7:19am PST 
checking on Chiqui again...worrying about you!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sun Sep 16, '12 8:49am PST 
oh my cat I did not see this before! I hope Chiqui is okay!!! shock
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sun Sep 16, '12 11:53am PST 
Guys I heard from Michele and Chiqui was about to go to the vet and started eating out of the blue all over again. So she's doing very well and back to her normal self. Michele will probably check in and tell you the details but all is well! big grinway to go
[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Sun Sep 16, '12 7:57pm PST 
Hi Everyone! Boy, mommy was so relieved by me eating again that she neglected to update this thread. I did start to eat again and have been back to my normal self for a week now. 'Not sure why I quit eating...it might have been a bug I picked up from traveling that has taken this long to germinate, or it there might have been something in the apartment left from the cat before? I don't know, but I feel MUCH better now. Thank you to everyone for your purrs and concerns, and next time, which we hope there will not be a next time, we will update as soon as I am back to "normal" again.

Purrs, head bonks and great BIG nippy balls!
Chiquitita, and mommy cheerbig hug
[notify]

Maizy

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '12 2:18pm PST 
MEOWSKA! great news! thanks for letting us know. There has been much sadness lately & it is good to hear that you are feeling fine!
[notify]